Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crusty Ny Strips

Options
Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I saw pictures of a NY strip that looked very crusty. It looked delicious.[p]I am wondering if a coat of corn starch might accomplish that. From what I hear, it makes chicken crispy.[p]Any thoughts will be appreciated.[p]Kyle

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Kyle,
    the easy way to a crusty ny strip is simply to sear it at very high temps for about 90 seconds per side . .. corn starch isn't going to do anything for you here as that is to help chicken skin crisp up .. with the steak, you aren't dealing with any skin .. .[p]sear at over 700 degrees dome temp for about 90 seconds per side. ..you'll have all the crustiness you'd want. ...

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    What Max said plus I put a good coating of salt on the meats surface and let it sit 30 minutes or so before searing, seems to form a better crust. -RP

• eggaholic
    Options
    Kyle,
    Go look at Baja Tom's post below in Woosday.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Kyle,
    This product always produces a nice crust. I use it for both steaks and pork chops
    My top three flavors are Hickory Molasses, Original and Roasted Garlic and Peppercorn.[p]I always have this stuff around.
    RhumAndJerk

[ul][li]Char Crust[/ul]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Kyle,
    i know of a few guys that coat steaks with mustard and a rub. gives quite the crust. don't flip too early or it'll stick.[p]i do what azrp advocates, though. salt, minimal rub sometimes, and let it sit a half hour or so.[p]salts doesn't dry out meat. but it does bring those water-soluble proteins to the surface, and they crust up nice....

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Sirloinsteak.jpg
    <p />Kyle,
    I would suggest a rub for steaks to help create a crust. I like DP's Cowlick and Raising the Steaks. I don't use the Trex method because I'm lazy. I grill at 550/600 to an internal temp of 135. I flip the steaks or chops a few times so they don't burn. Here's a 1&1/2" sirloin grilled direct seasoned with DP's rub Good luck, Tom