Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Regulating Temperature

Options
Daryl
Daryl Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am just learning how to regulate temperature in the large BGE. The first time I fired it up, I ran to 700F in about 20 min and never could get it back down to 300F until I finally shut off all air top and bottom. The second time, I ran up slower to 330F with a 1" lower damper opening and a full open setting on the dual-function metal top daisy wheel (slider open 1/2").[p]What is the easiest way to fire a cold egg and get to 350F and hold?[p]How is the best way to snuff it out after cooking? I have been removing the metal top and re-installing the cap. Is the tighter seal worth the extra effort?[p]Thanks,[p]Daryl

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Daryl,
    "What is the easiest way to fire a cold egg and get to 350F and hold?"
    Daryl, I start a "core" fire and even if it gets red hot, the BGE hasn't had time to obsorb the heat into the walls and when I add my additional charcoal over the smoking woods, I can bring it back down to under 200F..Then crack the bottom vent approx 1/4 inch for 200 to 250F,,and 1 inch to 2 inches for 300 to 350F..Regulating the top daisy/slider will have a affect on the lower vent settings. I use both, some not even a top vent cover. This is a learning curve and good to play with it and find your comfort zone.
    Yell out if more is needed.
    C~W

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Daryl,[p]Your Egg heats much faster than it cools. Close the vents down to "catch" the rising temp and hold about 25-50°F below the intended cooking temp. Give a vent a tad wider opening to rteach cooking temp.[p]Spin