Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plain Jane Ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dear Gang - Hard as it may be to believe, I have had a request for pork ribs "without all that smokey-spicey stuff". Was thinking of doing next batch of babybax or country style ribs with a basic garlic/salt/pepper/olive oil marinade or rub, with maybe some mild spices (rosemary?), cooked over lump in the usual fashion without any smoke chunx. Thought I might look at some of the pork loin/roast/chop recipes for some milder spice combos. Any suggestions??? E.B.

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    E.B.,[p]Check out Cat's recipe and cooking method for baby back ribs. The cook is unsauced and provides a mild flavoring, especially if the marinade is wiped off prior to cooking. Smoke using a mild taste. I like a 50/50 mix of hickory and apple chips (just a single handfull) used very early in the cook. The apple dulls the strength of the hickory and adds a subtle sweetness. Spare ribs are prepared the same way but require a longer cooking time. [p]Some of the very best results happen when you let the meat do the talking.[p]Spin[p]
  • Spin,
    Thanx for the tip - will check it out. Have to admit I like to "let the meat do the talking" myself sometimes. As the Deutschen say - "Einfach ist immer besser" i.e. - simple is always better. Thanx to anyone else who helps me out - gotta go to bed - went to work last nite around midnite, got home late this afternoon, & everything is goin' round in circles. Later - ERIC

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    E.B.,[p]Spin is right. Cat's Baby Back recipe is one for the ages.[p]Fritz