Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First sspare ribs - how to prep them

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy folks! I'm going to cook my first spare ribs this weekend and I'm trying to get some good info on how to prepare them for the cook.
I know I'll remove the membrane and I'll rub them with a good rub, cook them indirect for somewhere between 4 to 6 hours at about 250.[p]But, my questions are on preparing the meat from the stand point of possibly trimming them. I bought two slabs from costco and they seem to have a couple flaps of meat that aren't part of the rib itself. On flap is in the middle of the rack, and I figure you just leave this on there and cook away. But the other flap is below the bottom of the ribs and is a pretty substantial chunk of meat (Or at least it seem to be be after the ribs stop, I haven't cut into it yet to make sure there is no bone in there). What should I do with this chunk of pork? Leave it there and cook away or cut it off and cook it separately?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Robert, you have the cook down pat..the flaps that your referring to have oodles of rib cartilage in them and they do make some good eats, but messy...Lots of dog treats in em.
    But there is some good exterior parts. I think most competition cooks trim off the flaps to the round bone tips of the ribs themselves. Some cook the flaps for their own snacks and samples. I try to get my butcher to trim em back.
    Just my thoughts, and perhaps not all is necessarily so.
    Cheers to ya, and if I missed you earlier..Welcome to the forum.
    C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    must2.jpg
    <p />Robert,[p]http://www.ribman.com/abtribs.html
    The above link is very good for info on ribs.[p]The link below is to my website where I have a lot of different rib cooks with pictures. I don't do many racks of spare ribs (I prefer baby backs) but they are all done about the same - just longer with spares.[p]Spares can be trimed alot. That flap can come off unless you want to cook it for something else - like your dog or to add as flavoring in something. The chine bones can be removed before you cook or after.[p]Tim

[ul][li]Tim's Place[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Robert,
    Great tips from Tim and CW. just to add, i cut off the flaps and cook them along with the ribs. After a couple hours they make some great snacks to get your mouth watering for the final product![p]Leaving them on is okay too, but they tend to hold a pocket of rub that doesn't cook, and the ribs look better without the flap.[p]just some idears.
    happy friday to ya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Robert,[p] If you plan on serving guests, for sure cut the tail piece off. I would cook it seperatly and munch on it for a snack afterwards. I have found this piece to be alittle on the dry side, do to the fact it has very little or no fat at all.
    If you have not come up with a rub, may I recomened J.J's own dry rub, I make up jars of it at time, only cause I make such a mess, my better half will only let me in the kitchen for 15 mins. Let us know how things work out with you.[p]Earl

[ul][li]http://BigGreenEgg.com/recipes/sauces/JJrub01.htm[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Robert,
    I cook both spares and baby backs the way that I get them. The only exception is removing the membrane.
    Those little flaps and the meaty end are my favorite. The guests do not see those parts because they are on my plate.[p]Happy Smoking,
    RhumAndJerk

• Thanks for the tips. I was going to trim one rack and leave the other alone, but due to some last minute errands today I ran out of time to prep everything, so I put the ribs on untrimmed, but I did remove the membrane. So far the smell from the Kamado pot is great. I mixed up some rub, prepared my favorite way (grab whatever is in the kitchen and mix well to a point that just smells good). I think all will turn out fine, and shoot, if I'm not satisfied with the end results it just gives me all the more reason to cook more next weekend! Can't ever have too much BBQ![p]Thanks for the tips
    Robert