Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SALMON & CHICKEN FEED SATURDAY....."help!!"

Options
Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking/Egging for 7-8, several of which don't believe in red meat. On my large Egg, want to do a combo-cook of a big filet of salmon and some chicken parts. Question: any good recommended preps/recipes for both fish and fowl....and what do you all suggest for cook times/sequences of each, and temps. I'm thinking I may need to do something indirect with my plate setter, to accomodate cooking something as delicate as the salmon, and not end up with fish jerky or...smelly shoe leather. Probably want to do whole chicken bone-in parts with more traditional BBQ flavors--and will probably use applewood for smoke flavor as a compromise for the salmon and chicken.
Thanks for the help, Eggheads!!!

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Big Murth:[p]Wood flavors and seasonings are your choice.[p]Take whole chickens and half them for the cook or chicken quarters (leg and thigh) for grilling. You may want to cook the chicken (350º) first till not quite done. Place in a pan and cover with foil while the salmon is cooking. Burn off the chicken fat and then cook the salmon filets at 350º for twenty five to thirty minutes (depends upon how big your filets are). Once the fish is off open vents and raise the temperature to burn off the fish and reheat the chicken.[p]Just my thoughts, certainly is nice to have two cookers . . .

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Big Murth,
    Just cooked some great Salmon last night. Marinated for 1 hour in "Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce" then cooked it for 55 mins. at 250 degrees indirect on large egg with Alder chips on coals. Had plate sitter upside down (legs up) on top of ring, drip pan on sitter and grate on top of sitter legs. Have done Salmon many times on Gas Grill but this is first on the Egg (have only had Egg for 2 weeks). My wife siad it was the best Salmon she's ever had. I agree.
    Can't help you with the Chicken.

• Big Murth,[p]I would prep the chicken the night before. I like to inject chicken and turkey, but there are a lot of nice brine recopies if you like that flavor. I suggest smoking the chicken indirectly at a temp no higher than 325 (I like the 250 range). My favorite smoking wood for chicken is Pecan, but Apple will also work. For the salmon I use Alder.[p]A few hours before cooking of the salmon begin the prep of the fish. I like to skin the salmon and cut it into pieces that will serve two people. The smaller pieces make it easier to handle on the grill and allow you to position them as necessary.[p]I have a recipe that I soak the salmon in that is a favorite with family and friends. This is an on-going recipe experiment, but the results have been good so far:[p]This recipe is for a 2# filet. I like the filet that comes from behind the head because the fish is thicker. I don't use the tail section as it's too thin.[p]1/4 cup of low sodium soy sauce
    1/4 cup of regular soy sauce
    1/4 brown sugar
    1 teaspoon of Tabasco
    1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
    1 pinch of fresh ground nutmeg[p]Mix all of the ingredients making sure to dissolve the sugar. Skin the salmon, cut into two serving size pieces, and place in the brine. Flip the fish a few times to get it covered with the brine. Let the salmon soak in a covered container for three hours in the refrigerator, flipping every 45 minutes or so (I generally soak for two hours in a FoodSaver vacuum container).[p]After the chicken is done remove it from the grill and wrap it in heavy duty foil and let sit.[p]I generally like to cook the salmon at 325. If you have Alder wood place the smoking chips (or chunks) on the coals and let them begin smoking. Remove the fish from the brine (don't rinse) and place directly on the grate. After several minutes flip the fish. Keep flipping the fish just enough so that it does not burn on one side. Cook the salmon JUST until it's done -- do not overcook the salmon!!! At 325 it generally takes around 20-25 minutes.[p]I check the salmon by taking a very thin knife and peek between the flakes in a thick part of the fish. Once the fish is done remove it from the grill and let it sit covered with foil for 5-10 minutes. I try and pull the fish just before it's fully cooked because it will finish cooking while it's sitting.[p]Have a good weekend[p]P.S. A nice Mango relish will compliment the salmon.