Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Egg Still Frozen,Help??

TheStormyDOgTheStormyDOg Posts: 104
edited 5:58PM in EggHead Forum
OK I tried the 100watt bulb trick with no success, the hair dryer got the bottom vent open but I still can't get my egg open. The placesetter and grill are all in place so dropping in starter cubes isn't an option any other idea's. What happens if I pour hot water on my egg (lol no jokes please).
Thanks
Stillfozendog

·

Comments

• egretegret Posts: 4,031
    TheStormyDog,
    Light a couple of starter cubes and put them in through the draft door (bottom vent).

·
  • TheStormyDog,
    I have a long narrow electric starter. I put it in the top of the egg, usually takes about 10-15 minutes.
    That is the best I can do.[p]Mike

·
  • MeinbmwMeinbmw Posts: 157
    TheStormyDog,
    My earlier repsonse to you was one that worked for me.[p]Now that you have the lower vent door unfrozen, light two or three LARGE pieces of charcoal .. shove them in through the lower vent opening. Then, take your hair dryer and set it on a low fan speed. Blow air in through the lower vent door to supply plenty of combustion air for the charcoal you shoved in .... give it a go and let us know how you come out.

·
  • DrivrDrivr Posts: 163
    TheStormyDog,
    I would go with meinbmw suggestion. when mine freezes shut I get the bottom vent open remove the top cap and build a fire in the bottom that usually catches the leftover lump on fire and thaws it out.

·
  • TheStormyDog,
    I heat up some water in a pan and pour it on the rim of the egg. Works every time for me, it may take a couple of pans of water but it will not hurt the egg.

·
  • BajaTomBajaTom Posts: 1,269
    TheStormyDog,
    You can still put a couple of starter cubes lit through the top vent. Once they are on the platesetter just use your ash tool to move them off the edge into the lump. Your lump should catch fire and your lid will loosen up. Good luck, Tom

·
  • jimmyjimmy Posts: 34
    The Stormy Dog:

I get the bottom vent open and throw in some lit starter cubes to ignite the left over lump. My gasket has remained moist no matter how many high temp cooks I do. Tired of the top not opening I went to Home Depot and bought a 20x36 inch piece of sheet aluminum. I cut the metal to the diameter of the egg gasket. When I am done cooking I close up the vents put the sheet metal over the gasket. No more frozen top!
    ·
  • TheStormyDog,
    try a small plumbers torch through the slider.it wont hurt the egg and takes about 8 minutes

·
  • turdhurder,
    awile back there was a post about handles and why[p]
    what does yours mean? are you a plumber?

·
  • Hey, I feel your pain! Been there a few times.

Other suggestions are all great.

This won't help now but I picked up a trick to prevent future freezing. I put aluminum foil around the rim after a cook. Mine has not frozen shut since.

Best of luck,

Bill
    ·