Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Still Frozen,Help??

Options
TheStormyDOg
TheStormyDOg Posts: 104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK I tried the 100watt bulb trick with no success, the hair dryer got the bottom vent open but I still can't get my egg open. The placesetter and grill are all in place so dropping in starter cubes isn't an option any other idea's. What happens if I pour hot water on my egg (lol no jokes please).
Thanks
Stillfozendog

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    TheStormyDog,
    Light a couple of starter cubes and put them in through the draft door (bottom vent).

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    TheStormyDog,
    I have a long narrow electric starter. I put it in the top of the egg, usually takes about 10-15 minutes.
    That is the best I can do.[p]Mike

• Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    TheStormyDog,
    My earlier repsonse to you was one that worked for me.[p]Now that you have the lower vent door unfrozen, light two or three LARGE pieces of charcoal .. shove them in through the lower vent opening. Then, take your hair dryer and set it on a low fan speed. Blow air in through the lower vent door to supply plenty of combustion air for the charcoal you shoved in .... give it a go and let us know how you come out.

• Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Options
    TheStormyDog,
    I would go with meinbmw suggestion. when mine freezes shut I get the bottom vent open remove the top cap and build a fire in the bottom that usually catches the leftover lump on fire and thaws it out.

• TheStormyDog,
    I heat up some water in a pan and pour it on the rim of the egg. Works every time for me, it may take a couple of pans of water but it will not hurt the egg.

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    TheStormyDog,
    You can still put a couple of starter cubes lit through the top vent. Once they are on the platesetter just use your ash tool to move them off the edge into the lump. Your lump should catch fire and your lid will loosen up. Good luck, Tom

• jimmy
    jimmy Posts: 34
    Options
    The Stormy Dog:

I get the bottom vent open and throw in some lit starter cubes to ignite the left over lump. My gasket has remained moist no matter how many high temp cooks I do. Tired of the top not opening I went to Home Depot and bought a 20x36 inch piece of sheet aluminum. I cut the metal to the diameter of the egg gasket. When I am done cooking I close up the vents put the sheet metal over the gasket. No more frozen top!
  • TheStormyDog,
    try a small plumbers torch through the slider.it wont hurt the egg and takes about 8 minutes

• Metalhead
    Options
    turdhurder,
    awile back there was a post about handles and why[p]
    what does yours mean? are you a plumber?

• Hey, I feel your pain! Been there a few times.

Other suggestions are all great.

This won't help now but I picked up a trick to prevent future freezing. I put aluminum foil around the rim after a cook. Mine has not frozen shut since.

Best of luck,

Bill