Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blue Cheese Stuffe Filet / TREX ???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,[p]Love this place and am usually a lurker.[p]The TREX method is awsome for thick meat cuts of Filets and Rib Eyes.[p]This eve, I will be attempting the TREX Method on stuffed filets.[p]My plan,[p]Stuff Blue Cheese into the center of the filet, using my finger to enlarge center pocket (without creating to large a hole) I will then season and let steaks reach room temp an then proceed to TREX.[p]I would like the Blue Cheese melted, and will do the steak Med Rare. Should I consider pre-melting the blue cheese, prior to stuffing??[p]Thank you for any approval or suggestions.[p]Mark

Comments

• BunkyRub
    Options
    Citrus,
    I don't believe you will need to pre-melt the cheese as it melts pretty quick. I would also be careful not to bring the filets truly up to room temp due to danger of contamination if the meat gets too warm. My guess is you mean that you don't want the meat to be refidge cold upon placing on the grill. You might also try combining the blue cheese with a little unsalted butter. It mellows out the flavor.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Citrus,
    "room temp" is probably a misnomer. it would take a while for the center to be at 70 (room temp) by leaving it out. you certainly can do it, just don't linger outside the safety range.[p]here's a thought, though.
    i've had four hour dinners at a high-end steak house, and the whole timne there the meat is sitting out on the counter in a big pile, at roomish temp.[p]you might try the hot tub method here.[p]put the stuffed filets in a ziploc with their stuffing-holes (boy, that sounds bad) facing up so the cheese doesn't leak. take the air out of the bag, and submerge in the hottest tapwater you can muster. if you swap the water out once ir twice, in15 minutes you'll be around 100 in the center and the cheese'll be warmed too.[p]then on the grill at sear temps. [p]careful taking the internal temp, because you can't go by the temp of the cheese[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante