Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza problems

Big Hoser
Big Hoser Posts: 104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tried my first pizza the other night on the Egg that wasn't a take-n-bake (and those turn out "eggcellent" BTW). I used Pop-N-Fresh dough (on sale), plate setter, pizza stone and dome temp at a little over 450 as I tried to follow directions on the package per temps and cooking time. First I spread out the dough directly on my giant wood peel which I dusted with flour. When I tried to put the pizza on the stone, the dough stuck on the peel and it came off almost in a ball after wrestling with it. Recovered somewhat and after 15 minutes and the bottom and top were good-n-crispy, I tried to take off the pizza. One side of it stuck to the stone (which I had dusted with corn meal) and some of it still is stuck there (gotta get out the paint scraper). So, where did I go wrong? How do y'all get your pizza on and off the stone intact? Thanks in advance for the replies.[p]Dan

Comments

• fyrcat
    fyrcat Posts: 41
    Big Hoser,I use parchment paper under the dough...

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Big Hoser,
    Did you have the stone preheated? A good insurance against sticking to the peel is to roll your dough out on parchment paper. It won't stick to the peel and you can bake the pie right on it. -RP

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    Big Hoser,
    my peel became less sticky after i cut a few doz pizzas on it, the knife scratches seemed to help or i just got faster at making pizzas (let it sit too long on the peel and it will start to stick). with the stone, did you just bring the dome temps up to 450 and start cooking or did you let the stone saturate heat for a good half hour plus after you got to temps, im thinking the stone was still too cold. been so long since ive cooked a pizza i probably will have to relearn a few things. sometimes that store bought dough is too sticky and you need to work it on a floured surface before putting it on the peel.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Big Hoser
    Hmmm, looks like I'll have to buy some parchment paper when I hit Safeway after work today. And I put the stone and plate setter soon after I lit the lump and put the pizza on soon after the dome temp hit 450. Guess I have to let it stabilize for 30 minutes. Thanks all (and fishless, where's the obligatory pizza pics? I was looking forward to those as an inspiration for lunch here in a couple of hours).
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    pizza.jpg
    <p />Big Hoser,
    Here ya go! You can see the parchment paper. -RP

• gman
    gman Posts: 106
    fyrcat,
    I cook a lot of pizzas and the trick for me is a dusting of corn meal (like little ball bearings) on the peel. I also let the stone preheat for at least 20 minutes once the Egg has come to my 500-550 degree temp. Of course my stone is raised. I use fire bricks. I remember my first one was a disaster until I learned about corn meal on this formum. I am not talking about corn meal flour. I usually get the Quaker corn meal that comes in the miniature oatmeal looking cylinder.

• fishlessman
    2004_0214_012826.jpg
    <p />Big Hoser,
    unos style deep dish pizza cooked in a pan, would solve some problems. if you need a deep dish crust recipe let me know, this is my favorite egged pizza.

fukahwee maine

• StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    fishlessman,[p]
    Gee thanks. How is it that i feel like i been spendin the last 5 minutes strapped to an orgasmitron 2000 ?[p]dats some good lookin pizza [p]man alive[p]StumpBaby

• Big Hoser
    fishlessman,[p]Ditto to what Stumpbaby said (drooool). That deep dish recipe would be great. Would it work in my cast iron skillet? Thanks. [p]Dan[p](And now I will try to find a doughnut or something to stop my stomach from growling after looking at that fine piece o' pie).

• Golfnut
    Golfnut Posts: 144
    IMG_0893.jpg
    <p />Big Hoser,

• fishlessman
    2004_0214_012424.jpg
    <p />Big Hoser,
    i dont know about cast iron, i use a 13.5 inch seasoned paella pan. [p]i think i got this from jstraus, havent seen him post in a long time[p]Deep-Dish Pizza
    Prepare the topping while the dough is rising so it will be ready at the same time the dough is ready. Baking the pizza in a deep-dish pan on a hot pizza stone or quarry tiles will help produce a crisp, well-browned bottom crust. Otherwise, a heavy rimless cookie sheet (do not use an insulated cookie sheet) will work almost as well. If you've only got a rimmed cookie sheet, turn it upside down and bake the pizza on the flat rimless side. The amount of oil used to grease the pan may seem excessive, but in addition to preventing sticking, the oil helps the crust brown nicely. [p]Makes one 14-inch pizza, serving 4 to 6 1 medium baking potato (about 9 ounces), peeled and quartered
    1 1/2 teaspoons rapid-rise yeast
    3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    1 cup water (warm, 105 to 115 degrees)
    6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus more for oiling bowl
    1 3/4 teaspoons table salt [p]1 recipe topping (see related recipes)[p][p]1. Bring 1 quart water and potato to boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and cool until potato can be handled comfortably; press through fine disk on potato ricer or grate through large holes on box grater. Measure 1 1/3 cups lightly packed potato; discard remaining potato. [p]2. Adjust one oven rack to highest position, other rack to lowest position; heat oven to 200 degrees. Once temperature reaches 200 degrees, maintain heat 10 minutes, then turn off heat. [p]3. In bowl of standing mixer or in workbowl of food processor fitted with steel blade, mix or pulse yeast, 1/2 cup flour, and 1/2 cup warm water until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside until bubbly, about 20 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, remaining 1/2 cup water, 3 cups flour, salt, and potato. If using mixer, fit with paddle attachment and mix on low speed until dough comes together. Switch to dough hook attachment and increase speed to medium; continue kneading until dough comes together and is slightly tacky, about 5 minutes. If using food processor, process until dough comes together in a ball, about 40 seconds. Dough should be slightly sticky. Transfer dough to lightly oiled medium bowl, turn to coat with oil and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Place in warm oven until dough is soft and spongy and doubled in size, 30 to 35 minutes. [p]4. Oil bottom of 14-inch deep-dish pizza pan with remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil. Remove dough from oven; turn onto clean, dry work surface and pat into 12-inch round. Transfer round to pan, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest until dough no longer resists shaping, about 10 minutes. [p]5. Line low oven rack with unglazed baking tiles or place pizza stone or rimless cookie sheet on rack (do not use insulated cookie sheet; see note above) and heat oven to 425 degrees. Uncover dough and pull up into edges and up sides of pan to form 1-inch-high lip. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm draft-free spot until double in size, about 30 minutes. Uncover dough and prick generously with fork. Bake on preheated tiles, stone, or cookie sheet until dry and lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Add desired toppings; bake on tiles, stone, or cookie sheet until cheese melts, 10 to 15 minutes. Move pizza to top rack and bake until cheese is spotty golden brown, about 5 minutes longer. Let cool 5 minutes, then, holding pizza pan at angle with one hand, use wide spatula to slide pizza from pan to cutting board. Cut into wedges and serve. [p]

fukahwee maine

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Big Hoser,
    I think the answer to your question is that liquid got on to your stone.When you transfer the pie to the stone it has to be a quick clean jerk and let her drop.With or without flour or corn meal.Do not try to reposition after it hits the stone (it is to late and this is when sloppy things can happen.I can remember when I did a pie ont the bottom of my oven with quarry tile on the floor oven to simulate a brick oven.I slid the pie off of the peel which got wet and still continued to try to slide it off,and I had one hell of a mess.Not only did I ruin the pie,but made one heck of amess to clean up from the quarry tiles.

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Big Hoser, parchment parchment parchment parchment parchment.[p]Gwen

• Ed
    Ed Posts: 123
    Big Hoser,[p]As others have said - corn meal on the peel. I put corn meal on the peel and after I lay the dough on I shake the peel a bit to make sure everything is free. As I layer stuff on the dough I stop and shake the peel to make sure nothing is sticking. Before I leave the kitchen and head for the egg I give the peel a little shake to make sure everything is still free. It's easier to try to free things up in the kitchen than while standing in front of the egg. No need to put any corn meal on the stone as long as it's been well heated. Keep trying, you'll get it.
  • wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    gadgetman,
    Yo man, that's the most beautiful pizza I have ever seen!![p]Cheers, Glenn

• Golfnut
    Golfnut Posts: 144
    wobin,
    Thanks! I posted the picture to show you don't need to use a pizza stone or a pell to make a good pizza. I use a lodge cast iron pizza pan. I make the pizza right in the pan, no worry about sliding a pizza around!