Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood Chunk/Chip Flavors

omba
omba Posts: 241
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello again! It's been one month since I joined EGGdom! :-)[p]I vaguely recall seeing some data somewhere about wood flavors. A search of the forums have led me nowhere. I am trying to put together some information regarding what wood flavors MIGHT go best with what food.
Now I know you folks well enough that there could be much debate! :-) There will be combinations and concoctions. (I love it!) But as a primer for those of us who do not have the wisdom of the sages (ages?), it would be greatly appreciated if you might select some of your favorites from below:[p]Alder
Apple
Apricot
Barrel - Jack Daniels
Barrel - wine
Cherry
Fig
Grape
Guava
Hickory
Maple
Mesquite
Oak
Pecan[p]I may have missed a few flavors in there, so feel free to add. If enough of you folks contribute, I might compile the data and donate to Naked Whiz for the NW web site ... or is it already there, and I lost it? :-)[p]Anyway ... what woods do you like with what foods?[p]Appreciating your input as always,
Peter[p]PS - If it so happens that this post is redundant, feel free to point me in the right direction.

Comments

• omba,
    You have a pretty complete list of smoking woods, Can I add one more? I had a plumb tree die last year so I have cut it up and been using it. It seems to work quite well for me. Anyone have any comments, positive or negative? Bucky

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Bucky Buckshot,[p] What kind of tree was it? You said it was straight, but not what kind of tree. [p] Most any tree that bears edible fruit will be good for smoking including Plum. Tell us your impression of Plum since you are cooking with it.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    omba,[p]Different woods give slightly different flavors to your product but very few people can tell one wood from another just from the aroma in the air unless they are comparing a very light wood like alder to a very strong wood like mesquite. Even fewer people can taste a product and identify the kind of wood used. [p]Now.....I'm not saying any old wood is as good as another, I'm saying that there are subtle differences and the type of wood, the amount used, the quality of the smoke, the base flavor of the product combined with the flavor of the spices, marinades or basting sauce all work together to make that wonderful flavor footprint that you like. [p]That being said, the woods I use the most for general barbecue are cherry, apple and pecan. For smoking fish I like alder. I cook my butts and briskets with mesquite lump and get a base flavor from that, then add pecan on brisket and cherry on pork.[p]One adder to the list, although not a "wood" is an onion. Try tossing a small Spanish onion into the coals before you grill some burgers, chicken, sausages or pork steaks. It really fills the air with good smells.[p]~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Celtic Wolf,
    It was a Stanley Plumb. I would compare it quite equally with apple however I would prefer cherry to either one if I could get it. Hope this helps. Bucky

• omba,[p]I'd add Olive wood is a very popular choice out here, I'm making a drive this week to pick-up a load for our business. It offers up a Mediterranean flavor (much like grape) to food.[p]Lingonberry is another fruit wood if you like game birds (or any white meat) and compliment it with a Lingonberry sauce or glaze.[p]Plum is another fruit wood that has already been mentioned, it works nice with pork and poultry. [p]Orange citrus is something I'm also looking to try here soon, I've heard varying reviews on this type of smoking wood. [p]I like combinations on smoking woods (which in turn creates an all new type of taste and flavor), cherry and hickory for beef, apple and pecan for pork are favorites I currently use. [p]
    [ul][li]Santa Clara Valley Flavor Page[/ul]

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• omba,
    i like to mix some sassafrass in with cherry and apple when making kielbasi

• Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    omba,
    We have cooked chicken, pork, and spare ribs with Cherry Wood, darn tasty too.Willie

• Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    omba,
    Sorry, my last post should have been Peach Wood, not cherry.Willie

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    omba,[p]I know a lot of people swear by Adler for Salmon, but I am a big fan of JD chips with the pink fish.[p]Jethro
  • omba, One of my favorites is fruit pear wood, awesome with chicken. I say fruit pear because I don't know about the Bradford pear's wood quality. [p]Another wood that works well with beef is Almond.