Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The "bad and ugly"

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Frozen Salmon. Need I say more?[p]I live in Washington and have always eaten fresh salmon. Either caught by me or from the store.[p]Last year we went on a trip and I have a freezer full of some beautiful fish. But...it's fishy. I should have known better.[p]Tonight, I did this fish at 250 degrees for 1.5 hours...looked very promising, but I was disappointed. It was moist and even had good texture, but it was "fishy" [p]I may just thaw more if it out and put it in a Little Chief smoker to try to see if I can "smoke-over" the fishiness. this is the best way to get the most smokiness, I think. Any other ideas?[p]Thanks![p]CIMG0979.jpg[p][p][p]

Comments

• ab ovo
    ab ovo Posts: 67
    Options
    mukl,[p]Try marinating in a marinade that contains some lemon. Lemons contain a chemical that neutralizes the chemical that produces the fishy taste. Do you have any clue why it is so fishy? Were the fish filleted promptly after they were caught?
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    mukl,
    were the fish well protected in the freezer, or did they get a bit of frost bite.
    Have they been in the freezer a long time?
    Were they defrosted very long before they were cooked, and were they kept in the fridge while defrosting?
    Many things can cause fish to spoil quickly, but you should not be able to smell fish from very fresh fish, once it starts to smell fishy then it has started to deteriorate.[p]

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    mukl,[p]Where I live in the midwest, really fresh fish is hard to come by (even if self caught, is likely to be chemical tainted) and so I'm used to "fishy" fish. As ab-ovo said, lemon juice on the fish before hand reduces the fishi-ness. Also, rosemary seems to somewhat neutralize it, and add a counterbalance flavor.

• SkyRider
    Options
    mukl, This is what works for me when there is some "fishy" consideration. Current spousal unit will not touch anything that is "fishy", but loves when I cook fish, as below: Note that if the fish is "spoiled"...nothing will help.[p]1st: Rinse fish briefly w/ Vinegar, yep, plain 'ol vinegar...just a mild acid wash...this will help get rid of any exterior fish odor/taste problems[p]2nd: Whilst Cooking >>> Apply lime (or lemon) juice to your taste...we use a lot.. I do NOT marinate w/ the lime juice, just cook.. This does not mask any fishyness, just removes same & lends add'l flavour...Of course, you can apply any rub of your choice to taste...[p]This works for me if I am grilling fish or slow-smoking...Good Luck!

• Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Options
    mukl,
    I just lurked both of your posts...the good and the bad and ugly....say you got the flu? maybe them taste buds of yours ain't working too good. and God forgive if you gave it to the misses and that's why she says it's fishy