Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Cook

Options
AZ Traveler
AZ Traveler Posts: 664
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got my brisket on about an hour ago. 6:a.m. AZ time. I know there are quite a few other briskets going today. Hope they all go well. Have a nice day all. AZ

Comments

• orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    Options
    AZ Traveler,
    I put my 11 pounder on yesterday, got it on right at 4 p.m., set up the Guru for 230 grid, and let er fly. Well, about an hour ago, the alarm was going off and meat probe said done. Verified with my Thermapen and, sure nuff, it was at 189 degrees internal all over. This is my first brisket, I had figured 2 hours per pound and at that rate, it is done about 7 hours early! Pesky things, eh? Wrapped it in foil and towels and will let it set a bit before pics and trying it out. Any thoughts why it was done so early? Also, I may now need a good way to reheat it for dinner tonight, being done so early? Looks and smells great, cant wait to try it.

• BabyBoomBBQ
    Options
    orion11,[p]What was your setup and grade of meat?
  • orion11
    orion11 Posts: 140
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ ,
    Didnt realize until I got it home that it was "Select Grade", this grocer sells mostly Choice so I didnt look that close. Indirect, with plate setter, dry drip pan, grid on top of plate setter legs, Guru probe at grid level (not close to meat), pit setting 230F, start to finish. Guru held temps great as I did check it from time to time. Just didnt understand why it was done so quick? By the way, we are munching on it now and it is FANTASTIC, moist, tender....I just need someone now to tell me to stop eating it before I explode!

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    orion11,
    That sounds great. Mine is a 6 3/4lb. flat. I put it on a raised grid and it seems to be cooking pretty fast as well. I put it on at 6:a.m. it's 10:a.m. now and it is sitting at 155 degrees. maybe it will plateau for 4 or 5 hours. Glad you cook went good. I know you are full but take one more bite for me. Enjoy, AZ

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    AZ Traveler,
    I put mine on 4 hrs and 50 minutes ago at 230 grid and the internal is 154 degrees. It's also a 6.5 lb. Lookin good!

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    Mine has been on now 6 hours and 10 minutes and it just hit 167. My grid temp is 234. It still looks a little damp. Is that about normal for this stage? Sounds like yours is humming right along. John

• ronbeaux
    Options
    AZ Traveler ,
    Thats pretty normal. I'm at 161 at 6 hr and 45 min. It got hung up at 155 for almost 3 hours before stepping up.[p]I may spritz it with a little super thinned bbq sauce.[p]

ribeyefriday006.jpg[p]

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    That is looking good. 8 1/2 hours and I'm at 172. It has been bouncing between 172 and 173 for an hour. Good luck. John

• Golfnut
    Golfnut Posts: 144
    Options
    AZ Traveler ,
    I'm watching this thread intently because I just bought our first 6lb flat which I'm planning on cooking early next week.
    How are you guys going to plate yours? With sauce on bun or what?[p]Thanks

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    gadgetman,
    I'll just use plain old white bread and home made Q-sauce. Made a loaf of bread today just for that. I'm having a little bit of a problem with mine though. I have been hung up on 171-173 for a couple of hours. It just move a few minutes ago to 175 so I'm hoping it is on its way. Right now it has been on just a few minutes short of 10 hours. Enjoy, AZ

• ronbeaux
    Options
    gadgetman,
    Sliced thin with sauce on the side and some veggies like cole slaw or something. I'm also at 172 and just spritzed it with watered down bbq sauce. It's starting to step up regularly now in temp.[p]Made some bread while waiting;[p]

ribeyefriday010.jpg[p]
    ribeyefriday008.jpg[p]
    ribeyefriday007.jpg[p]

• ronbeaux
    Options
    AZ Traveler ,
    Did you bug my house???[p]See my post in thread.

• ronbeaux,
    great breads![p]you need more aspirin.

• ronbeaux
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Oh hey! Thanks for reminding me! Two a day keeps the heart attack away![p]This bread stuff is a science that I'm struggling to learn. All puffed up before the cook, and then woosh, sunk like a two foot putt.

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    I sorta thought you might make bread today. I will post my bread pictures later as well. Right now I'm hung up at 191. Take care. AZ

• ronbeaux
    Options
    AZ Traveler,
    Here it is;

ribeyefriday012.jpg

ribeyefriday011.jpg

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    Man that is good looking stuff. Nice job. Hope mine is half that good. AZ