Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leakage Advice?

Options
omba
omba Posts: 241
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Woops!
No egging tonight, so it seemed like a good time to season that new cast iron grid. While the cat's away ... :-)
While coming up to temp, I noticed smoke from the rear by the hinge. I opened the egg (fear!), and sure enough, there is about a 3-inch section of the gasket (top and bottom) that appears melted (fear realized!). I think you called it "fried."
Anyway ...
Is this important to replace/repair ASAP ... like tomorrow? I imagine that it will take more work to keep the temp constant, or am I being way too anal here?
I know that eventually it will bother me way too much, so replacement is not too far away. That leads to a couple of questions:
1. What did I do wrong? How can I avoid this in the future?
2. Any best method/materials for replacement?
I'll start searching the archives. I do NOT want to give up super-searing my steaks (That a Trex?) or the pizza possibilities. Is there a BGE Hospital somewhere? What about Green Cross/Green Shield? :-)[p]Thanks in advance,
Peter[p]PS - Another delivery today, and I'm home alone! Can't wait to see/smell the DP box!

Comments

• omba
    omba Posts: 241
    Options
    Dear self,
    Search the archives before you post. OK?
    I have the replacement answers, but I'm not sure what route to follow at this time. But I've calmed down ...
    It seems that if the cooking is working, I should be OK ... for now. I gues the next test will be another brisket. :-)
    Wouldn't it be nice if:
    a) there was a gasket patch kit.
    b) gaskets just lived forever.
    c) the rumored high-temp gasket hit the streets.[p]Thanks for listening,
    Other Self

• onelegchef
    Options
    omba,
    I wouldn't worry about, it shouldn't mess up ypur heat control, you should be good to go.
    Bobby-FTW,TX

• onelegchef
    Options
    omba,
    I wouldn't worry about, it shouldn't mess up ypur heat control, you should be good to go.
    Bobby-FTW,TX

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    omba,
    You can go to Ace hardware and get a 50 ft. roll of felt between5/8 dollars.Cut out and scrape needed felt use elmers glue.let set up 4/5hrs good to go.

• Sandbagger
    Options
    120_2086.jpg
    <p />omba, no biggy, you'll just instinctively throttle back the lower vent to compensate for the leaks.. I finally changed this gasket, and I bet in three months I'll be back to the same problem. Then, in another nine months I'll fix it...

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    omba,[p]I'm pretty anal too, but I didn't worry much about my first gasket leaks until one spot became big enough to start burning the lid handle. At that point I ordered 2 new gaskets. [p]I don't recall seeing any posts where someone replaced just a part of a gasket. Your Egg is pretty new. So I'd guess the gasket is still mostly soft and fluffy. Maybe you could try slicing out the burnt section and putting in a new piece.[p]gdenby

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    omba,
    You can probably get by for a while as is. However, the reason this ocurred in the first place is due to the fact that you didn't have a good and proper seal to start with. It's pretty common for these things to happen in the rear hinge area. You can replace a section of the gasket without doing the whole thing, especially if it's fairly new. Whatever you do, run a 'paper test' to check your seal and report back........

• omba,Couple months ago, I fried my gaskit at the hinge, top and bottom, trying to trex some steaks. Gasket stuck together. I just closed it and waited for cooling. Looked at it the next day and had a couple gaps. Got my grandaughters old cowboy felt hat; cut 3 or 4 pieces out and glued 'em in like a jigsaw puzzle with Scotch Maximum Strength Adhesive and doesn't leak a bit. Got a new bge gasket, but won't put 'em in till this one gives me problems. Kind of shyed me away form high temp cooks. I sear at 600°. We like 'em. Actually, when I fried gaskit, I was pushing 800° which makes me think that 700° would probably be ok. I really learn a lot from the forum and am thankful for everyones' input. Read it almost daily. Good cookin'. Ern

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    ern,[p] 750 seems to be the limit unless you have leaks.
  • omba,I had this problem myself and called BGE and because mine was an XL they said it was the spring assit kit that caused the problem. It was causing too much tension on the hinges and causing it to lift up.Their suggestion was to simply remove the assit kit and wait for BGE to come out with another version. Has anyone tried this method and does it solve the problem?