Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL and Plate Setter

Options
BYC
BYC Posts: 358
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To XL Users--[p]I was at the ATL corporate store last week and they had the plate setter in between the top collar and the firebox. That seemed to me to limit the amount of charcoal one could place in the XL. Especially on a slow cook.[p]Soooo---When doing a slow cook (butts for 20 hours) do you find placing the plate setter in between the fire box and the collar works best or do you simply place the plate setter inverted on top of the collar? If on top of the collar how do you elevate the butt so the smoke flows to the underside? I thought about elevating with a drip pan but again I sense the heat and smoke are not maxed out due to airflow. I only have one ribrack and am firing two cookers. If I had two ribracks problem solved but not for now.[p]Thanks

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    BYC,[p] Ohh I know I'll get stumped for this, but How big are your butts?[p] I have never had one that took 20 hours to cook. My XL Plate setter sits on top of the Fire Ring (Collar) feet up. [p] The amount of lump that fills an XL to the top of the Fire Grate is quite a bit and could easily do a 10-20 hour cook where ever you put the Plate Setter.
  • BYC
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]I used to think that too until I got on this slow cook kick using the Stoker/Guru and started buying the double wide cryovac butts that can weigh a lot---comined weight up to 15lbs. I used to cook them in 10-12 hours using foil but the 18-20 hour cook does make a difference. Especilly, in competitions. The Augusta Hammin Jammin competition is only allowing cookers 15 hours so I am going to go to 245-255 degrees and see what happens. I usually run them at 225-235.[p]Thanks CF...David

• jimmy
    jimmy Posts: 34
    Options
    BYC

I use the same set up as Celtic Wolf and cook he same cryovac butts you do. I can put 30lbs of butt on the XL. I smoke at 220 dome for 24 hrs or so and they are done........with plenty of lump left by the way.......
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    BYC,[p] I buy those all the time. The only time it took longer is when I loaded Humpty up. Up to four 7-8 pound butts and Humpty is happy to cook them all pretty much as if they were just one 7-8 pound butt. Even with the six 8 pounders on Humpty it still didn't take me 15-20 hours. Then again I set for grate temp and not dome. 12 hours is the longest I ever cooked a butt and that was on my cheap a** offset that couldn't hold a temp even if it was stuffed in an oven.
  • BYC
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,[p]I put them on at 8PM @ 255 dome degrees last night and they are approaching 190---so that's 14.5 hours. Two nights ago I put them on at the same time and ran them at 235 dome and they were approaching 190 at about 2PM, which would have been over 18 hours.[p]Gonna do my next two at 245 dome which I think is just the right dealio to make a 16 hour cook crack a cold one, and turn the prize into those waiting judges.![p]Them's da' facts!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    BYC,
    I wish the legs were longer on the XL plate setter as well.
    I purchased mine before I had a chance to put my hand on one.
    I wish it were shaped more like the large.
    After using the XL many times I'm glad I made the purchase.
    I have done several low and slows both ways. Even with plate setter between box and ring, feet down, I had enough lump for 20 hours. Granted the plate setter was almost resting on the few pieces of smoke wood I tossed over the lump. I was worried about the fire going out due to poor air flow but it burned fine. Yea "Picnic Lump".
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BYC
    Options
    Photo Egg,[p]Thanks PE. That's good to know. I did last nights cook with the PS on top of the collar but used a rib rack to elevate the meat. Worked well but may try with PS under the fire ring next.