Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rye beer bread

Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BGERyeBeerBread022.jpg
<p />Starts out with two bottles of beer(or three if the cook wants to test the beer) mixed with 1 cup rye and 1 cup white wheat flour with a packet of yeast the night before baking. This allows the heavy rye and wheat flour to 'blossom' for better flavor and texture.

BGERyeBeerBread015.jpg

Some of the yeast gets killed from alcohol but some make it through the night with a whopping hangover in the morning, still alive and kicking. Hoooray.

BGERyeBeerBread016.jpg

I finish building the dough later the next day with some added vital wheat gluten, another packet of yeast, brown sugar, molasses, caraway seed, vegetable oil, beaten egg, salt and stone ground bread flour to form a ball which I knead by hand.

BGERyeBeerBread017.jpg

Baking in the cold dark of winter is no problem...when you got the egg! Oh that smells great. Made two boules.

BGERyeBeerBread023.jpg

That's not a smoke ring!!! That's a deep crust my friend, in a heavy and hearty winter bread. Nice moist and sweet crumb. Ruben sandwiches on the menu.
Clay[p]

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    ClayQ,[p]When I got the Egg, I thought it would be for supreme 'Q (and it has done so.) But, due to post like yours, I never thought that I'd want to start baking. I guess its time to move from the store-bought frozen loafs to hand made. "Deep crust" by summer I hope.[p]Thanks,
    gdenby

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    ClayQ,[p]That first picture could be on the cover of a food magazine. Beautiful shots and great composition, not to mention that bread looks mighty tasty![p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • ClayQ,
    Now that looks good!! Any chance of getting the recipe?

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • ClayQ,
    Fantastic bread. I would like to make this one day soon if the recipe became available. I think I have all the ingredients. That crust is to die for and like you stated, the crumb is perfect. Oh the aroma that had to put out. Thanks for the post, John

• ClayQ,
    Awesome.
    Bobby-FTW,TX

• Jose'
    Jose' Posts: 48
    ClayQ,
    That is a very fine looking Pair!

• ClayQ,
    game on ![p]excellent display of baking prowess![p]

• Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    ClayQ,[p]That looks SO good. I'm allergic to wheat so if you have any wheat-free recipes, post away.[p]Gwen
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    ClayQ,[p]That looks fantastic...care to share the recipe?[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    ClayQ,[p]Bravo! By now I suspect you don't have any of it left.[p]Puj
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    ClayQ,
    I'll suggest that you pick up some books on bread baking and try some recipes out. This rye beer bread that I made has loose measurments and amounts as I eyeball this and that. That's part of the fun....making bread by experience without a documented recipe. Well, I'll try to convey amounts as best I can. [p]Rye Beer Bread[p]The night before;
    Mix two bottles of beer (wheat beer or dark beer is good) with one cup rye and one cup white wheat(or regular whole wheat) flour with a teaspoon of sugar and a packet of yeast. Mix well and leave out on the kitchen counter overnight uncovered.
    The next morning;
    Add to the batter one packet of yeast(the first packet got drunk)with 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, 1 Tablespoon molasses, 2 Tablesoons vital wheat gluten, 1 Tablespoon kosher salt, 1 egg beaten in a little water, 1 Tablespoon caraway seed and 1 Tablespoon peanut oil. Mix well with wood spoon and then start to add stone ground bread flour a little at a time, mix and keep adding and mixing until the dough balls up. Flour a bread board and knead the dough by hand adding more flour to keep the dough from sticking until the dough is smooth, firm and just a little sticky. About 15 minutes time, yeah, you can do it! Set the dough in a greased bowl for a 1 hour rest-a good place is in the oven.
    Next; Now is a good time to clean the egg of ash and old lump, add fresh lump, start a fire and let the egg burn clean and stabilize at 400 degrees. You want a fully heated egg burning clean. Indirect setup for baking.[p]Push the risen dough down and cut in half. Form a ball with each half on a floured bread board then place each dough ball on an 8" greased pizza pan or parchment paper lined pan. Slice the top and let proof for another hour inside your oven out of drafts. Now the egg should be fully heated and you can start baking the first boule for around 45 minutes giving a rotation to the pan after the first 20 minutes. Check to see if the bread is done with a tap of your finger. The bread should sound hollow and have a nice dark brown crust. Bake the next boule and your done. The aroma is fantastic.
    Good luck.
    Clay