Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mustard?????

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have noticed how often mustard is used, could you please tell me if it does anything to the meat other then flavor it. By the way, I recieved my grill extender and plate setter yesterday, then went out and purchased a polder type thermometer and some long gloves today. Now the fun can really begin. Just bought a pork tender loin, we shall see what happens. It's a comfortable 84 degree's here today and my glass of wine just hits the spot. Happy Q-ing to all.
New Bob

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    View?u=1386188&a=10352365&p=37534220
    <p />New Bob, My thought was that mustard never really flavored, just was used as a tenderizer. I'm sure more EGGERS will chime in and I'm curious to see what other responses you get.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    New Bob,
    Mustard helps melt the rub and might aid in penetration of flavor due to the acid in the vinegar. One of the nicest benefits is that it aids in giving you a nice crust.
    84 eh? Still winter here.
    Don't forget to set your clocks forward.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Mustard mostly provides a crust to the meat. When used with a rub, the rub flavor is encrusted. Its use is not necessary as a crust will form on the meat surface. The use of the mustard forms a more pronounced crust.[p]Spin