Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib - Need help

Options
BK
BK Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just learned that I was volunteered to cook two Prime Ribs for the grand opening of a freind's new business this Saturday night. He dropped off 14 and 15 pound roasts with bone. I've never done this. What do I do?
He plans on removing the bone and carving for his guests.
The funny thing is that he's only had fish on my large egg, because he doesn't eat meat.
I'd sure appreciate some guidance here.

Comments

• Barry,
    I cooked my first prime rib with bone in during xmas. Go The Naked Whiz website and follow his style of cook (times, temps. set up) and you can't mess it up. You don't have to follow his recipe though, only if you want.

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Barry, There are some great ways to cook Prime Rib....Mine is simple....Load up the fire box.....You'll need to cook indirect....with dome temps between 350 and 375.....Internal meat temp is key.....140 middle internal temp will give you rare in the middle....and more done as you go towards the ends...and this what you want.....[p]To keep things simple...get out your food processor...toss in two big handfulls of peeled garlic cloves...big dash of black pepper corns...big dash of sea salt....and a two or three big dashed of your favorite dry rub....and then some EVOO....pulse two or three times...and Voila!....You'll have a nice garlic paste to slather all over those Prime Ribs....and start cooking.....[p]MadMax has a great recipe as well and I know alot of folks like his method as well....The methods I employ work out pretty well and are very, very easy....bordering on foolproof....Whichever the way....Prime Rib off the BGE is the best!! Don't sweat it....Internal meat temps are key![p]Good Luck![p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    Barry,[p]Practically the only way to blow it is to overcook it
  • AZ Traveler
    Options
    eddiemac,
    I'm getting ready to do a prime rib soon and I want to thank you for this timely post. It sound like what I need, thanks again, AZ

• My findings were that 140 internal was beyond "rare" using the following scale. But, we all have our own ideas and varied results.[p]Beef is cooked (roughly) on the following scale, based on the internal temperature of the meat
    Cooked Traditional Temp. (USA) Description
    Blue 115ºF - 125ºF Blood-red meat, soft, very juicy
    Rare 125ºF - 130ºF Red center, gray surface, soft, juicy
    Medium rare 130ºF - 140ºF Pink center, gray-brown surface
    Medium 140ºF - 150ºF Slightly pink center, becomes gray-brown towards surface
    Medium well 150ºF - 160ºF Mostly gray center, firm texture.
    Well done 160+ ºF Gray-brown throughout.

[ul][li]Beef Cooking Temperatures[/ul]
  • BK
    Options
    Woody54,
    Thanks to you all. I feel pretty confident. We just may have to do them one at a time. Maybe one will go in the oven and we can really see the difference. I like to the suggestion of cutting ribs off first and then tieing them up.
    Thank you all again!

• BK
    Options
    Ryan,
    Looks like Primop to me