Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small egg and platesetter questions

Options
UGAVET
UGAVET Posts: 577
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know the small egg is very popular. I have had one since october and like it very much but i have a couple of issues. The temp to me seems harder to control or maybe it is just more sensitive. I have a hard time getting it up to very hot temps (500+). I have seared at 700 a couple of times but the temp seems to die pretty easily. i am filling the lump up pretty full. I recently got the platesetter for the small and have found that when i have the platesetter legs down that the temp is very difficult to get up. It seems that the air flow is very restricted since the platesetter sits so close to the inside of the egg. legs up doesnt seem to be as much of a problem. Just wondering if anyone has had this experience. still love it though.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    UGAVET,
    I have found that I need to clean the ash out more often to get the high temps. I tell you, I just love that small for sides but fish and steaks, it is fantastic.[p]Mike

• EGGOMANIAC
    Options
    UGAVET,[p]Makes sense - A few inches in a small is a big deal. The heat has more of a chance to rise without the lower (inverted) dampering the heat so use it to your advantage depending on the cook:-)
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    UGAVET,
    The thing I've noticed with the small is that right after a good cleaning it fires up fast and hot. The next time I'll rake the old lump and add some new but it takes forever to get it to come up to temp. I think I figured it out, the small has airflow problems when used lump is small enough that it restricts airflow. Lately I've been using less lump and it seems to have solved the problem. In the large I always top it off up into the fire ring, with the small I don't go any higher than the top of the fire box and it seems to have solved the problem. -RP

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    AZRP,
    Hey thanks for the tip. I have been filling it all the way up. I also make sure that i clean out the ash before each cook cause the space is so small. I will try to use less lump and see how it goes. I love the small but have had more issues controling it. maybe this will help. Hope everything in AZ is going well. How are the horses?