Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fatties

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to grill some fatties for the first time tomorrow evening (new to the Egg and fatties look VERY tasty and an easy starter dish). Any recommendations on a rub that you have found especially delicious (there isn't time to order any rubs, such as DP, online so I am looking for something I can put together myself or that I can purchase from a grocery store)? I am going to be using Jimmy Dean Regular, Sage, and Extra Hot sausage.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Hobbs,[p]You can put together a pretty good rub by yourself out of a few common ingredients. Most rubs are mostly salt and sugar, say 1 cup of Kosher salt and 1 cup of Turbinado sugar, with several other things added in various amounts. Common rub ingredients are black pepper, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and mustard powder. I've made rubs for myself using a tablespoon of each with the salt and sugar. For a fattie, which probably already has a fair amount of salt in it, its nice to make your own mix, and reduce the salt you put in. Also, you can fine tune the heat to your liking, and can try other additions, like cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, etc. [p]I like to test rubs, both my own, and those from others, by mixing them with some sweet butter, and spreading them on toast. [p]gdenby

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Hobbs,
    As said below, go ahead and wing it. I would go light on the salt though. Also, just a couple rolls over the rub, IMO. It will take as much as you want to give it, but I feel there is a fine line between too much. I found it won't 'crust' up with too much rub.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    Hobbs,
    Jamacian Fire Walk .... THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!![p]WOW ....[p]NUFF SAID