Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

yet another which green egg to get.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know the small can cook a chicken, but i already have the large egg. if i am going to do a turkey or beer can chicken, any larger cook i will do it on the large. 1 vote for a mini right there because its cheaper than a small.[p]also i really LOVE trexing steak so thats another vote for the mini. anyone have any comments?[p]i am ready to order by this weekend. if anyone has a good online website to order the mini from please post here. i cant find any place near me (los angeles) that sells the mini. its tough enough finding it online as well.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    luis,
    you'll end up using the small more than your large day to day, for meals, small butts, a few ribs, etc.[p]i don't have a mini, so of course i'm biased. i'd vote for the small. it's a bit more versatile.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • EGGOMANIAC
    Options
    stike,[p]Small gets my vote as well for ther versatility factor. More control and a little bigger cooking area than the mini.
  • eggfoot
    eggfoot Posts: 138
    Options
    luis,
    trust me get the small. i now have all 5 sizes and i can say that i use the small way more than anything else. you can control the small at any temp awsome, to control the mini it works best over 300. the only way i would say get the mini is if you think you will travel with it allot, it is great for that. get the small for overall usage. just my opinion.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    luis,
    The mini is cool. Very cool. You can sear the pants off anything. And you can pick it up and run with it. Well, not until it's cooled down :-)[p]Anyways, the small is of another world. Surprisingly long burn on a load of charcoal, and it don't sear too bad itself. Plus you can put a dutch oven on it, or set it up indirect and roll a rack of ribs. You can hang a small drip pan on the fire ring, and set up 2 tiers for doing chicken or whatever. It's really a lot like your large, only smaller. [p]If you want something to run around with, and throw in the trunk on a whim, and you want to put a mean 45 second sear on an elk steak....then get the mini. If you want a versatile cooker to compliment your large, get the small.[p]Dang. That's as much words as I've had time to post lately. Finely got a couple spare minutes!!! I got firewalk in my nose, and had to take a little break. Days have been full from beginning to end....chocked full like it aint funny (as hatch would say). Fun seeing all the action around here. Wish I had more time to hang with yalls.[p]Good luck with your new purchase Luis.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Love Handles
    Options
    luis,
    Heck, I say get them both. I just ordered a mini from the BGE headquarters. I already have 2 smalls and 2 Larges, just wanted a mini for kind of a tabletop decoration. Small is the best bet for you though, and its light enough to take with you too. We take our small M/home camping all the time --See-Yaa

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    luis,
    I'm thinking of getting a mini, too. I have a large which is all I really need. But I been thinking it would be good to have a little "high heat searing machine" that I could use with the large. Searing steaks on the mini and finish them off on the large along with vegetables, bread or whatever. [p]More importantly, The mini would be easy to pack on trips and would be compact enough to use on the balcony of the condo we rent in July. "Olive" has inspired me![p]I've got to scan the archives for mini-info.....

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    luis,
    I have the large and mini. The mini works for searing steaks and the large for roasting them. Over the weekend I seared ribeys on the mini, then tossed on the large to finish roasting, 135 internal. Prime ribeye's are a treat at my house.
    Clay

• Flashback Bob
    Options
    One more thing I forgot to mention- I'm tight on space. When we go on vacation I have to pump out some of the air from the trunk in order to fit everything in. The mini seems to me to be extremely "stow-able" when not in use.
  • Essex County
    Options
    luis,
    I started with a large and then acquired a small and a mini about 6 months ago. I use all three regularly. Out of every 10 cooks, it's about 5 on the small, 3 on the large, and 2 on the mini. The mini is great for steaks. Did a couple of chicken breasts last night and they were excellent. It is great for cooking for 1 or 2 people. But if I want steaks, grilled veggies, and maybe an appetizer for two, then the small gets fired up. The mini is a great griller and it heats up fast. But it is pretty small. If I had to choose between the small and the mini, I'd go with the small.[p]Paul

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Essex County,
    i forgot about that score of yours.
    glad to hear you use them as much as you do. i did not ever think i'd use my small as much as i do, even from the recommendations of users here. ....i use it perhaps 4x as much as i do the grande.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    A large and a small make a great pair. Unless you have a compelling reason to go with the mini, I'd recommend the small, it is much more versatile.
  • Essex County,[p]Because we go camping quite often we were also thinking of the mini.
    About how many pieces of cut up chicken will the mini hold?

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Good to see you come up for air. All work and no play makes Jack, well, you prolly know the rest.
    Seth

• luis,[p]Since we are spending your money... I vote for a Hummer so you can take whatever you buy in style on camping trips..
    I only have a large so I really can't vote.. Good Luck in whatever you buy...

• Essex County
    Options
    Gadgetman,
    I haven't really loaded it up yet as we usually do little stuff on the mini. (Duh!) The grid is only 9" across. I think you could do a whole cut up chicken if you moved the pieces around frequently. Let's start a new thread and ask.[p]Paul

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    minicook.jpg
    <p />luis,
    Here is a picture with 27 chicken wing drumetts and a few pictures of the mini egg cooking at the lake.
    Larry

[ul][li]Mini Egg at the Lake[/ul]
  • J Ruloph
    Options
    luis,
    Where in LA do you live? Who is the closest BGE dealer to you? Why you ask, I'm BGE west coast. I have them in stock currently and would be glad to sell your closest dealer one.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Thanks Seth, good to see you again too.
    Well, I still get little bursts of play in once in a while. Just enough to keep me sane. Other than that, it has been non stop. One last big uphill toward getting back into our place. Then the sun will be shinin' and the birds a-singin'. I look forward to hangin' out here more often. Just finalized with insurance today. We are aiming for July.
    Hope all is well for you! happy 2007
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    luis,
    Small. You can cook one steak or four and still be thrifty with the lump.

• luis,[p]I had the same question a few weeks ago too. Small or Mini? I ended up ordering the small size for its versatility over the Mini.[p]Everyone here is so helpful and friendly so naturally you'd probably want to explore everything the Egg has to offer. It seems that the Mini is mostly for searing and grilling (like a Hibachi on steroids) and the temperature cannot be controlled in the lower ranges (for smoking). [Eggers kindly correct me if I am wrong][p]Since versatility and precise temperature control are probably what led you to look into the Egg in the first place, choosing the size that limits you would put you back to square one. [p]hope this helped.[p]- an impatient soon to be Egger. (the Mini still does look awfully cute....)[p]