Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gumbo

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for some really good gumbo recipes.. we are going to be in a Cookoff in a couple of weeks with the local Parrothead club :)[p]Does gumbo always have to have that nasty, slimy okra in it to be considered true gumbo?[p]Any and all recipes will be appreciated! We are going to experimenting this next weekend with some.[p]Thanks!

Comments

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Options
    Lisa,
    file pwder will be a substitute. i like the slimy okra myself.
    gumbo is killer! love it!
    good luck at the parrothead comp.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    bbqbeth,
    There's nothing like some nice slimy okra with tomatoes![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • AZ Traveler
    Options
    Lisa,[p]Okra isn't nearly as slimy if you use a sharp knife to slice it,IMHO. I wish you lots of luck in your cook. If you find a good recipe please be sure and share it. Thanks, AZ
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Lisa,
    Funny you should ask as I am eating some while you posted. The okra may not be needed, but have not eaten any without in this household for many years, it helps to contribute to the thickness of the gumbo. There are as many recipes just as there are variations to other dishes. Don't forget the file![p]Stew, Gumbo, Poultry, Turkey, MIMI

Oh! What to do with all those great turkey day leftovers?
    [p]3 Stalks Celery, Diced Small
    1/2 Whole Bell Pepper, Red and Yellow (Seeded and Diced Small) Green will also work.
    3-4 Bunches Scallions, Sliced Small
    2 Lbs. Okra, Sliced
    1 Lb. Andouille Sausage, (Cut in 1/4 length wise and then 1/4 in. pieces)
    2-4 Cups Turkey, Cooked, Chopped (1 in. pieces)
    10-12 Cups Turkey/Chicken Stock
    1 Tbs. Garlic, Crushed
    File
    **********ROUX*********
    1/2-3/4 Cup Oil, Peanut or Canola
    3/4-1 Cup Flour

**********DIRECTIONS*********
    1 In a heavy bottom Dutch oven/stock pot saute in cooking oil (olive not recommended because of flavor) celery, scallions, bell peppers until softened and, then saute sausage with the above. Add turkey, okra and stock. Simmer slowly while you make a roux.l
    **********ROUX**********
    1 In a heavy duty skillet, cast iron works best, heat up the oil slowly and whisk in the flour a 1/4 at a time. Bring heat up and whisk constantly. Careful not to burn. if it burns start over, a cheap investment. It will get to the color of peanut butter or a new shiney copper penny, 10-15 minutes. Mix 1/4 cup or so to the rest of the pot and stir slowly BE CAREFUL, THE HOT ROUX MAY SPLATTER. Stir slowly and let simmer for an hour or so, stir often as the gumbo may stick to the bottom and burn if left unattended.
    2 Place in a serving bowl, over rice works for some, and then add a little file. Enjoy!

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Author: Gloria Williams AKA, "MIMI"[p]Source: Gloria Williams, 11/27/05

[p]

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p]with bacon drippings... yum! or skip the tomatoes and throw some crook neck squash in there. yum!.have a good
    night whiz

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Lisa,
    Cajun Seafood Gumbo with Andouille Smoked Sausage[p]from Chef Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen[p]Makes 10 main-dish or 20 appetizer servings[p]2 cups chopped onions
    1 1/2 cups chopped green bell peppers
    1 cup chopped celery[p]Seasoning Mix:
    2 whole bay leaves
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon white pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (preferably cayenne)
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves[p]3/4 cup vegetable oil
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    5 1/2 cups Basic Seafood Stock (can substitute oyster liquor)
    1 pound andouille smoked sausage (preferred) or any other good pure smoked pork sausage such as Polish sausage (kielbasa), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1 pound peeled medium shrimp
    1 dozen medium to large oysters in their liquor; about 9 ounces
    3/4 pound crabmeat (picked over)
    2 1/2 cups hot cooked rice[p]Combine the onions, bell peppers and celery in a medium-size bowl and set aside. In a small bowl combine the seasoning mix ingredients; mix well and set aside.[p]Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat until it begins to smoke, about 5 minutes. Gradually add the flour, whisking constantly with a long-handled metal whisk. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until roux is dark red-brown to black, about 2 to 4 minutes, being careful not to let it scorch or splash on your skin. Immediately add half the vegetables and stir well (switch to a spoon if necessary). Continue stirring and cooking about 1 minute. Then add the remaining vegetables and cook and stir about 2 minutes. Stir in the seasoning mix and continue cooking about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the garlic; stir well, then cook and stir about 1 minute more. Remove from heat.[p]Meanwhile, place the stock in a 5 1/2-quart saucepan or large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Add roux mixture by spoonfuls to the boiling stock, stirring until dissolved between each addition. Bring mixture to a boil. Add the andouille and return to a boil; continue boiling 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes more. Add the shrimp, undrained oysters and crabmeat. Return to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and skim any oil from the surface. Serve immediately.[p]To serve as a main course, mound 1/4 cup rice in the middle of each serving bowl. Spoon 1 cup gumbo over the top, making sure each person gets an assortment of the seafood and andouille. Serve half this amount in a cup as an appetizer.[p]

[p]

• Smokin' Wolverine
    Options
    Lisa,bring on the Okra, that makes the gumbo...Oh yeah and the shrimp, andouille and tabasco

• Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    You gotta have the okra!
  • Pharmeggist,
    Can it be cooked in the Egg?

• bwallass
    Options
    Lisa,[p]Forget the okra.
    Many varieties of gumbo. Okra is found in the creole kind which you will find more in the New Orleans Area (Ps New Orleans isnt cajun)
    The gumbo you find further west in Louisiana isnt as prone to having okra in it, and alot doesnt use gumbo file.
    I'd go with a simple roux based, chicken and andouille gumbo.[p]a good place to start would be the recipe in the prejeans cookbook (an all around great book to have)
    Prejeans, in Lafayette ( 2 hours west of NO) has great food, Their gumbo is awesome.
    you can get the cook book here: http://www.prejeans.com/site68.html (also check out the free recipes on their site)[p]
    A good cajun gumbo is all abou tthe roux which is the most intensive and sensitive part of the process.
    If you dont think you can do it yourself and dont consider it cheating, look for a roux already made by Savoie's or Richard's[p]Tabasco also has a recipe on their cite, never tried it though: http://www.tabasco.com/taste_tent/recipes/recipe.cfm?id=34&catid=15&name=Chicken_and_Andouille_Gumbo[p]Lafayette, La- 27 years and going

• Thanks everyone for all the tips! I'll let you know how it turns out...
  • BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Options
    Pharmeggist,[p]I have been using this recipe since 1985. Be careful not to scorch the roux and double up on the shrimp and/or crab. Also, might want to throw in some crawfish. No okra.

• Pharmeggist
    Options
    Lisa,
    I haven't ever tried this recipe on the egg BUT I can tell you it is fantastic. I was born in Louisiana... raised in Alabama and my Dad makes some killer Gumbo. Paul Prudhomme is a very famous chef in the cajun world... If you wanna do Gumbo..... he is to Gumbo as Dr. BBQ is to BBQ. I would definately practice cooking this a couple of times... to get it right on the money!!! You might Google Paul Prudhomme to find some of his cookbooks and to learn about his world famous Louisiana Kithen. [p]Good Luck, Pharmeggist
    P.S. NO OKRA :=)

• BOBF
    Options
    Pharmeggist,[p]And real andouille if you can get it.

• Not sure if I can get that in my neck of the woods, but I'll sure try!
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Lisa,
    I'm a bit late in posting but here's one of Chef John Folse's gumbo recipes. [p]Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
    Prep Time: 2 Hours
    Yields: 8–10 Servings [p]Comment:
    Chicken and sausage are the most popular gumbo ingredients in Louisiana. The ingredients were readily available since most Cajun families raised chickens and made a variety of sausages. Oysters were often added to this everyday dish for a special Sunday or holiday version.[p]Ingredients:
    1 (5-pound) stewing hen
    1 pound Chef John Folse's smoked sausage or andouille
    1 cup oil
    1½ cups flour
    2 cups diced onions
    2 cups diced celery
    1 cup diced bell peppers
    ¼ cup minced garlic
    3 quarts chicken stock
    24 button mushrooms
    2 cups sliced green onions
    1 bay leaf
    sprig of thyme
    1 tbsp chopped basil
    salt and cracked black pepper to taste
    Louisiana hot sauce to taste
    ½ cup chopped parsley
    cooked white rice[p]Method:
    Using a sharp boning knife, cut hen into 8–10 serving pieces. Remove as much fat as possible. Cut smoked sausage or andouille into ½-inch slices and set aside. In a 2-gallon stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly until golden brown roux is achieved. (See roux recipes.) Stir in onions, celery, bell peppers and garlic. Sauté 3–5 minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Blend chicken and sausage into vegetable mixture, and sauté approximately 15 minutes. Add chicken stock, one ladle at a time, stirring constantly. Bring to a rolling boil, reduce to simmer and cook approximately 1 hour. Skim any fat or oil that rises to top of pot. Stir in mushrooms, green onions, bay leaf, thyme and basil. Season to taste using salt, pepper and hot sauce. Cook an additional 1–2 hours, if necessary, until chicken is tender and falling apart. Stir in parsley and adjust seasonings. Serve over hot white rice. NOTE: You may wish to boil chicken 1–2 hours before beginning gumbo. Reserve stock, bone chicken and use meat and stock in gumbo.[p]Chef Folse authored one of the most thoroughly detailed cookbooks covering Cajun and Creole dishes I've ever seen. Thanks to Chef Wil, I have a copy of the book and I drool while reading each recipe. Check the link below if you want to know more about the book and the man. He is quite popular among those in the know.[p]As for cooking gumbo on the Egg, I see no reason why it can't be cooked on the Egg, or any other heat source for that matter. Early settlers in Louisiana did not have the luxury of expensive stoves so most of these recipes came about from simple cooking devices such as pots, pans and dutch ovens over an open log fire. You might just be complementing any Cajun or Creole recipe by going back to basics. Now that you've asked the question I think I will be trying it real soon.[p]Spring "Cajun To The Core" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

[ul][li]Chef John Folse[/ul]
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    Lisa,
    HOW TO MAKE ANDOUILLE AND BOND WITH YOUR EGG FOR 11 1/2 H
    [p]Homemade Andouille Sausage:
    2 1/2 pounds boneless pork butt, 1/2-inch pieces
    1/2 pound pork fat, cut into pieces
    1/4 cup Essence, recipe follows
    2 tablespoons paprika
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon salt
    3/4 teaspoon file powder
    3/4 teaspoon chili powder
    3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    Combine the pork, pork fat, Essence, paprika, garlic, black pepper, salt, file, chili powder, red pepper, and cumin in a large bowl and mix well. Pass through a food grinder fitted with a coarse die. (Alternately, transfer in 2 batches to a food processor and process until finely ground.) Transfer to a large bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. [p]To test the seasoning, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a small skillet, and cook about 2 teaspoons of the mixture. Adjust seasoning, to taste. [p]Using the sausage attachment on a mixer, stuff the meat into the casings, if being used. Twist and tie off to make 4-inch sausages. Alternately, shape into patties. [p]Preheat a home smoker to 250 degrees F. Smoke the sausage for 11/2 hours. Remove from the smoker and use as desired.

• Yummy.... I think we'll be a cookin' away on the egg next weekend! [p]Thanks!
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Pharmeggist,[p]How long do you smoke them? 1-1/2 hours?[p]Thanks,[p]Ed
  • Pharmeggist,
    11 and 1/2 hours??? or 1 and 1/2 hours??? Says both....

• Pharmeggist
    Options
    Lisa,
    Typo should be 1 & 1/2 hours.... unless your egg needs to be hugged for a while :=) optional

• Pharmeggist,
    LOL.. that is what I thought, but just wanted to check![p]Thanks!

• Pharmeggist
    Options
    egginator,
    1 & 1/2 hours is right.... didn't realize the typo until after it posted. Sorry!

• Pharmeggist
    Options
    Lisa,
    I want to hear when you take first place with the Gumbo... & if you don't win they don't know true Louisiana cooking when they taste it :=) At least you will :=)[p]Best Regards, Pharmeggist

• Don't worry... I'll post some photo's if I can find a digital camera to borrow! Was on my Christmas wishlist and I guess I forgot to tell the SO I wanted one! LOL[p]I've got a plan in mind.... going to try one with Chicken and Sausage and a seafood one... we'll see which one comes out the best. At least we aren't in the South where we wouldn't stand a chance... Midwesterner's are known for their Gumbo!
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    Lisa ,
    DONT'T scorch the roux... if you do throw it away and start all over. My Dad gave me this advice... the secret to Gumbo comes down to the roux. BOBF in an earlier post emphasized this fact too! BEST OF LUCK!!!!!

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    Richard,[p]That is a neat website. Probably be shopping there. AZ
  • BOBF
    Options
    Lisa ,[p]Also, make yourself a good seafood stock for the seafood gumbo or a good chicken stock for the other. You want to put the seafood in at the last so it doesn't overcook. But, I mash up a couple of shrimp or crawfish or throw a little crabmeat in early in the cook to add more flavor to the gumbo. My relatives in OK and MO know a good gumbo because I have made it by the gallon for them. Good luck.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Lisa,
    chef wil posts here from time to time, its a good recipe. maybe give him an email for how to kick it up for competitions.

[ul][li]gumbo[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it