Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezing stuff from Foodsaver

Options
Mayberry Smoker
Mayberry Smoker Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a Foodsaver for Christmas and have a question for foodsaver users. I had thought that when different meats went on sale say ground chuck, or chicken parts or whatever that I would get a bunch and cook them up and vac and freeze them as I had time. Then all my wife would have to do is get them out and thaw them out. But then I got to wondering would it be better to freeze the raw meat and then cook it at meal time. I guess the real question is will the pre cooked meat loose much of it's flavor or will it taste like it just came off the egg. Thanks.[p]P.S. It was the model 2440 that I got.[p]

Comments

• Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    Mayberry Smoker,
    Seems that the "best taste" is always fresh off the egg, stove, or whatever ...[p]But, the Foodsaver has been a huge stress reliever for the wife and I. I often cook large batches of chicken wings, brisket, pulled pork, etc. and Foodsaver it. Then, as you say ... all you have to do is pull something out of the freezer.[p]One of our favorites is egging up a huge batch of chicken breasts (bought on sale) and freezing them for chicken salad sandwiches, cubed up for salad, fettucine, etc. Fettucine is a quick, and delicious thing and makes me HAPPY HAPPY as Emeril says.[p]Oh yes ... then there is the outstanding enchiladas we make from Foodsavered pulled pork.[p]Bag it!!

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Mayberry Smoker, I never cook solely to freeze but I often cook more than I need (on purpose) when I do cook and I do freeze that. It was good when reheated before I got my foodsaver and it's better with the foodsaver. But it's still best right off the grill.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Mayberry Smoker,[p]I do a little of both but more frequently we freeze uncooked and cook as needed. That said, Whenever I do pulled pork I do at least two shoulders and then when pulled I freeze double porrtions of PP so I can have a treat whenever I want by just tossing one in a pot of boiling water for ten minutes.
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    Mayberry Smoker,[p]I always cook 2 butts at a time (actually should be doing four for the same load of lump) , and then portion out half pound portions into Foodsaver bags. Pulled pork freezes well, is easy to "reconstitute" with a little Coca Cola, and is very handy to have on short notice.[p]Just did the chicken breast cook last night- 3 packs of boneless skinless breats seasoned with three dizzy Pig rubs. Foodsavered and frozen, they give me something quick and healthy to eat without firing up the Egg.[p]I freeze tenderloin portions and their ground trimmings. Costco sells bags of tritips (8-packs) that I separate and Foodsaver. [p]hth[p]Big T