Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza help!

Options
Eggin-smurff
Eggin-smurff Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok folks, Ive tried several times but I cant seem to get pizza right. My biggest problem seems to be transferring the pizza from the kitchen to the Egg. Ive tried a variety of solutions but cant seem to hit upon one that works for me. From reading the forum and seeing some of you crank out multiple pizzas back to back, certainly youre not having the issues I am therefore, where am I going wrong?[p]I prepare the Egg with platesetter legs down and pizza stone on top. I warm the whole thing up to about 550* and let burn until clear. [p]On a wooden pizza peel well dusted with corn meal, I shape the dough and add the sauce and toppings. Ive been using the store bought pizza dough that comes in a can (could be the problem). I plan to try the pre-made dough from the bakery department at Publix. I try to avoid using the pre-baked crusts like Boboli.[p]But then the problems start. The raw pizza doesnt want to slip from the peel onto the stone. Even with the corn meal. I have destroyed a raw pizza trying to get it to release and slide off. Is my dough just too moist and sticky? How dry is the dough you use?[p]After seeing pizzas cooked at Eggtoberfest on pizza screens, I ordered several. Taking the pizza to the egg and back to the kitchen was a snap. But this time the crust stuck to the screen and I couldnt get the cooked pizza off the screen when done.[p]A third method was with parchment paper which has been the most successful yet. But this weekend the paper burnt to the bottom of the pizza. Maybe the fire got too hot this time though.[p]Ive read about the Superpeel. Is that perhaps my solution? Just how successful is it? Do you build you pizza directly on the Superpeel and then take it to the egg? Does the Superpeel pick the done pizza up from the stone easily?[p]Ive had BGEs for about 6 months and have been pretty successful with all my cooks except pizza. What tips and techniques can you share?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Eggin-smurff,[p] If you gently lay your hand on the dough and any portion of it sticks to your fingers it is too moist. Dough from a can has a tenacity to be way too moist. The directions call for too much water.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Eggin-smurff,
    If the parchment burned to the crust, your stone is way to hot. I put the plate setter in with legs up, grid on the legs, and the stone on the grid. This gives the stone a buffer from the direct heat of the coals. -RP

• The best way I have found to keep the dough from sticking to the screen is use spray on PAM. I have not tried the pizza stone or screen I use a pre made pizza pan or (round foil pan) spray with pam then put pre made dough on. Never had a problem with sticking. Crust is still good and crispy! Hope this helps. Gotta love pizza on the egg the kids love helping put on the toppings and spreading the dough. andy
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Eggin-smurff,
    Learn how to do the quick shake.Jerk the paddle back and forth with a quick motion will generally get things going.You cant push it off with your fingers.

• Eggin-smurff
    Options
    That makes sense. I suspected as much. Perhaps a bit of flour worked into the dough before shaping is in order.[p]Thanks for you response.
  • Eggin-smurff
    Options
    Hmmm, never thought about putting the stone on top of the grid. Will have to try that.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Eggin-smurff,[p] or add the water as needed. Add a little mix well add more until the dough is smooth and elastic. If it sticks to the counter sprinkle flour on it and knead in the flour. Repeat as necessary. Be careful adding more flour though. The dough can get rather heavy fast.[p] It is much better to sneak up on the finished dough then to get back to what you want.
  • Eggin-smurff
    Options
    Yea, well, I was doing the Jerk, the Twist and Shout, and every other move I could think of. That thing was really stuck. [p]Thanks for the reply.
  • edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    Eggin-smurff,
    Don't take your sauce all the way to the edge. If you get sauce under the crust it will definitely stick. [p]Give it the shake test before you open the egg. If it sticks anywhere, fix it with cornmeal.

• Eggin-smurff
    Options
    Yea, plus I like to build up the edge of the crust a bit thicker. It helps when holding the pizza for eating.[p]Thanks for the reply.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Eggin-smurff,
    My guess is your dough is too wet. Something you can do in addition to perhaps adding some flour is to let the thing sit out in the open, say on a piece of parchment, and let one side dry and form a skin. Then you can flip the dough over onto your peel (which has some cornmeal) and then make the pie and get it to the egg. If it takes very long to make the pie and transport, then give it a shake every minute or so to keep it loose. Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Eggin-smurff
    Options
    I think your right. Thats my next plan of attack. I gonna concentrate on and work with the dough a bit more before building the pizza.[p]Thanks for your comments and for the wealth of information on your web site.
  • ranger ray
    Options
    Eggin-smurff, i've seen the pros lift the edge and blow some air(human power)... this lifts the shell off of the peel at the last minute before launching in to the fire...

• Banker John
    Options
    Eggin-smurff,
    First of all, congratulations on continuing to try and perfect your pizza making abilities! I went through many of the same problems early on. I am not an expert pie maker like some here but I will try to impart some gems I have learned from others.[p]I set up the egg with the plate setter legs down and the stone on top. Once you roll out the dough, how long does the pie sit on a screen or on your peel before you place it in the egg? I found out the hard way that I have to roll out my dough and place on the screen and then only have about 3 minutes to sauce and top the dough before the dough begins to rise and stick to/in between the screen holes.[p]If you intend to continue to use the screen (which I recommend), then you may want to tweak the timing of the rolling out of the dough, placing on the screen and into the egg in less time. I would also consider using the Publix pizza dough or dough balls from a local pizza joint.[p]Keep up the trials and eggsperiments. Please let us know how you are progressing. Maybe we can see you cooking pizza's at an eggfest someday![p]Banker John

• George
    George Posts: 86
    Options
    Eggin-smurff, if your dough is not too moist and sticky, you can free-up any places where the pie is stuck to the peel by sliding a length of dental floss over the peel (under the pie). I do this every time, and the pizza slides off the wooden peel easily. Make certain the cooking level is at the opening or higher.

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Eggin-smurff,
    My guess would be flour, you need more. I generally use a cup or more rolling out a single pie. Flour on the rolling board, flour on the pin, flour on my hands, flour on the peel and inevitably, flour all over the damn place. But my pies don't stick and flour really isn't all that hard to clean up, especially if pizza night is the night before the cleaners come.[p]Cheers,
    Sean

• waruwaru
    Options
    Eggin-smurff,[p]Another tip, when you make your pizza on the screen, lay the dough on top gently, and don't press down when you put the topping on top. Try not have the pizza sit on top of the screen for too long as well. I made 2 pizzas the other day, one came out ok, the other one was stuck on the screen... Good luck![p]Waruwaru
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Eggin-smurff,[p]I make several hundred pizzas a year and I have found that I shape the dough then put it on the peel....this keeps you from pushing the dough into the surface of the peel....
  • Eggin-smurff,[p]do the quick wrist snap/jerk right after you put the rolled-out dough on the peel (loaded with corn meal). it should slide around freely. if it doesn't, you can either unstick it, or take it off, knead in more flour, and try again, before you have the toppings on. it took me a couple of ruined pizzas to come up with this method.[p]Ken
  • Frieed
    Frieed Posts: 3
    Options
    Eggin-smurff,[p]Another way I've found that is sure-fire is to put the dough on Reynolds brand "Release" foil (found in a typical market).
    It has a very non-stick side coated with silicone. Put the pizza on the plate-setter(foil side down), wait a minute or to for the pizza bottom to crust over, the grab a corner of the foil and give it a quick yank. The foil comes out just like the tablecloth trick and the pizza gets good and crispy by direct contact with the place setter. [p]This works extremely well with very soft doughs, if you have a large party and would like to roll out the dough in advance, or if you have the kiddo's making their own pie and taking their own sweet time in the process (which also leads to sticking)