Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TEMPS/DOME/GRILL

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
WHEN I FOLLOW RECIPES SHOWING EXACT TEMPS,SHOULD I BE USING MY DOME TEMP OR SOME OTHER LIKE THE POLDER TEMP..LOOKING AT A RECIPE IN THE FILES,IT SHOWS COOK AT 270 DEG. OR 300 DOME TEMP..THANKS

Comments

• Orio Kid
    Orio Kid Posts: 87
    Options
    John B/ST.CLAIR,
    Use the dome temp. Make sure it is calibrated.
    Jake

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Jake,
    Check your e-mail! The "blow by blow" is there! :-)))[p]Have a good one![p]Dr. Chicken

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    John B/ST.CLAIR, Thanks for the question, and since this is a forum, we try to answer these with direct, visible, open answer's directly to the poster, here, where the question was asked.
    Unless there is a unusual reason for doing otherwise. (Personal conflicts being one of them)[p]When the forum was in its infancy, it was recognized that there is a difference in thermometer readings inside the BGE at different levels. In order to not confuse the recipe readers/posters, and other forum visitors, all readings would be at the "dome" temperature with a accurately set BGE or other dome thermometer, even tho grill level temperatures would vary.
    All internal meat temperatures are read, again with accurate thermometers according to the USDA recommended doneness charts, or close to it.
    Basically, the BGE can be used in cooks much like you would use a home cook stove.
    All the above is both factual, and personal opinion.
    Cheers to ya...Char-Woody[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    John B/ST.CLAIR,[p]I assume you are reading recipes here on the website and not the "magic" ones in the manual/cookbook. The times & temps in the manual/cookbook are only used if you have the magic Egg. Since no one has ever claimed to have tried those recipes and been happy, I assume no one here has the "magic egg" either. Ignore the recipes in the cookbook unless you check the website first, many are just plain wrong (ie: ribs in 45 min, beef tenderloin for 20 min, brisket for 3-4 hrs, etc). [p]As C~W said, temps are always the dome temp unless internal temps are also given, and they are taken with a good meat thermometer or Polder type thermometer.[p]Tim