Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bean/Ham Soup

Options
Meinbmw
Meinbmw Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got some leftover ham bones and ham from a cook I did at Thanksgiving ... and would like to make a ham and bean soup. Any recipes you can offer me?

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    meinbmw, here's one from RRP
    RRP's Ham & Bean Soup

This is a hearty ham and bean soup recipe that I have tweaked for several years. I prefer to make it from the left over ham which was egged using the Dr Chicken Double Smoked Ham recipe, though a plain ham works fine too. I prefer preparation on the stovetop though I believe it is "legal" here since it uses an egged leftover! [p]Ingredients:
    1 lb dry navy beans prepared as described below
    8 pint water in total
    3 cup diced ham plus the ham bone with scraps of ham attached
    1/4 lb real butter
    1 cup grated carrots
    1 cup diced sweet onion
    1 cup thinly diced celery
    2 tsp fresh ground pepper
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp comino powder (a.k.a. cumin)
    1 tsp chili powder
    4 Tbs shifted flour
    1/2 tsp Wright's concentrated hickory liquid smoke
    1/2 tsp Kitchen Bouquet

Preparation Directions:
    1 Sort through beans for any bad ones, rinse, place in Dutch oven along with 3 pints of cold water. Bring to a boil and hold for 3 minutes, turn off heat, but leave on burner and keep pot covered for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
    2 Add another 3 pints of cold water, plus the ham bone. Simmer uncovered for 3 hours.
    3 In a fry pan saute' the carrots, onion and celery in the stick of butter. Add the salt, pepper, comino and chili powders.
    4 In a mixing bowl place the 4 Tablespoons of shifted flour and then add 1 pint of cold water, mix thoroughly into a slurry.
    5 Remove the ham bone and salvage any remaining ham, but exclude any fat.
    6 Pour and mix in the diced ham, saute'd vegetables and flour slurry plus one more pint of water, stirring well. Simmer thoroughly uncovered for 30 minutes and stir occassionally. During this final stage skim off any poolings of fat which might rise to the surface.
    7 One last kicker - if you remembered to save any of the glaze from the Double Smoked Ham recipe pour that in the final half hour too. It is wise to be careful here as the glaze might make the soup too sweet for some people's taste.
    8 Normally this recipe yields about 7 pints of bodacious soup. Enjoy!

Recipe Source
    Source: Ron Pratt, a.k.a. RRP - Dunlap, IL ron.pat@insightbb.com

[p]

• Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    Wise One,[p]Thanks so much!!! This is EGGactly what I was looking forward .... now, to the store for some BEANO!!!!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Wise One,
    thanks for your support, Bill. I love that soup with a passion and who knows how many times I've made it getting it to that stage where I felt comfortable running that receipe up the flagpole! A late night Ho Ho Ho

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.