Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Halfway winging the next butt ...

Options
Fire in the Hole
Fire in the Hole Posts: 128
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This morning's butt came off without a hitch. Everyone seemed pretty pleased with their pound of fresh pulled pork Christmas gift.[p]Fast-forward to this afternoon. We arrived home just in time for me to begin prepping the BGE for butt number two for tommorrow's lunch for my side of the family. The first indication that something was amiss was when I walked by my Maverick receiver and noticed one of the probes was reporting the dreaded HHH. The other probe looked to be reporting a normal range temp. Hmmmmmm ...[p]Rewind to earlier today. When the first butt came off of the BGE this morning we were getting pressed for time so when I removed the butt I closed down the BGE and left my Maverick sender unit sitting on one of the egg wings with the grid probe still attached to the grid and the meat probe sitting on top of the egg wing. I had intended to clean up the meat probe later that day when I set up for the second butt. This is the point where my laziness was going to make me pay.[p]We pulled the first butt and made one pound Food-Saver packs to pass out to everyone at today's party. Then we put my 11 year old female Dobie out in the back yard while we were gone and we left for the party.[p]During our absence, my Dobie obviously located the meat probe and was able to pull the probe off of the wing. All that is left of my meat probe is a frayed piece of wire. She chewed the thing all the way up the wire until she hit clean, unsmoked wire. I haven't found the actual probe yet.[p]:([p]Fast-forward to this evening. I cleaned off the grid probe and I am going to use it to monitor the butt temp. and I will just have to keep an eye on the dome temp gauge this evening.[p]So for now I will be keeping an eye on the pooch to make sure she shows no adverse effects. I sure hope a Christmas day trip to the animal hospital is not on the agenda tomorrow.[p]Live and learn, I guess. My dumb ass.
[p]

Comments

• UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    Fire in the Hole,
    As a veterinarian, i have been on the receiving end of many christmsas day emergency calls. so for your sake and your vets sake i hope you find the probe. most likely that she did not injest the metal. Merry Christmas.

• Fire in the Hole
    Options
    ugavet,[p]If I don't spot the probe outside somewhere today, what should I be on the look out for concerning the dog? I was thinking more about the dog than I was about the butt all night. Poor thing. I seriously doubt that I could find the probe remains in our back yard. To make matters more difficult, it has been raining cats and dogs here all night and the weather man says it could change over to a light dusting of snow by this evening.[p]To stay in the spirit of the forum, the second butt is cruising along swimmingly at 170 this morning. I may have to bump up the temp just a touch to finish it off in time. But otherwise, I would call this another perfect cook chalked up to the Big Green Egg![p]Merry Christmas!!!