Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Countdown to First Butt

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Gang - Brought home 7.5 lb Boston Butt today; this will be my first. Any last minute tips regarding temp & cooking time? "Smoke 'n Spice" says 1.5 hrs/lb, but most of the stuff I've seen on the forum is a lot slower, with 20 hr cooks not unusual. Unless I hear otherwise guess I'll figure on around 3hrs/lb (Tim M. I checked out your site) & see what happens. Been using my large BGE since last summer, & feel pretty comfortable with it, but my job with the railroad never gave me enough time off to plan for a low & slow all-nighter. However, since they have seen fit to lay me off, time is one thing I now have a lot of...ERIC

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    E.B.,
    250 dome temp, over a drip pan, and it will probably take about 2 hours/lb. The internal temp of the meat will stall somewhere between 155 and 170. Once you get into the 170s, you can kick up your dome temp to 275-300 to finish 'er off.. Can't hurt to allow 3 hours per pound, but my guess is that you are loking at 15 hours total. If you get to 190-200 internal temp early, you can wrap in foil/towels, and stick in a warm cooler for a couple hours til dinner.[p]Sorry about the layoff....aint this economy fun right now! Hang in there, I hope for a huge rebound soon. Enjoy the time off while you have it.[p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    E.B.,[p]I typically cook my butts and briskets REAL low and slow, about 200 degrees, 220 tops. Nothing magical about that temp, just what I started with and why change a good thing? My butts at the 200 degree mark go about 2 hours a pound, maybe a bit more but never 3. At temps of 225 to 250 or so, three hours a pound is a too much. I would look at about 2 hours a pound, start checking that 7 pounder about 11-12 hours into the cook to be sure that the temp is where you want it. The temp will rise nicely for awhile then it will peak at about 160 seemingly forever. This is natural. This "plateau" at 155-165 is where the callogens and connective tissues in the meat break down and the meat gets real tender. Once its past this plateau you can let it stay at 225 or so 'till its at 190 then pull it, or you can kick up the heat a bit to 300 and speed up the completion a bit.[p]Good luck with the butt, slow and steady wins the race. You're in for some good eats when its done.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Should have just put some ditto marks under your post, said nearly the same thing. Yours is more consise, I have a tendency to be somewhat verbose. Can you be verbose when you type, you arent actually speaking? Interesting philosophical questions there.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    E.B., your finish times will vary with a B'butt and a average is about 1.75 to 2 hours per lb. I just pulled one off that went on at midnight last night..and finished at 2:45 p.m. this afternoon..temperature average thru the cook was about 250 to 275 so it came out quicker. Did nothing but rub...insert..cook..looked at it at 14.5 hours..and pulled it. Fell apart on the grill..Excellent B'Butt. Mine was about the same size as yours.
    C~W[p]

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    E.B., Your in for some good eating, I usually go around 250 t0 260 degrees just to keep the temp more controllable. As you have the time to check your meat temps, and I'm sure you're using polder thermometer or something similar you'll be in good shape.You'll hit a temp plateau at around 160 degrees and it will sit there for what seems like forever, but just sit back and let it go it will soon take off for the magic 190 degrees and you'll be eating good. Enjoy your time off. Painter

• Painter
    Options
    E.B., Talk about quick responses, only if business's ran this efficient.

• Painter, Holy cow, you got that right! Looks like I struck a nerve. Thanx everybody - Looks like I'll figure on about 2hrs/lb, plus or minus whatever it takes. Will keep watchin' the forum to see who else has advice - and my wife says I don't have any friends...ERIC[p]
  • Painter
    Options
    E.B., Nothing but friends here to help.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    sprinter,
    Yeah, we almost crashed! You explained it well!![p]I still don't know how you get anywhere cooking briskets at 200 though! I have tried it a few times 200-225, but I can't get the internal temp past 150 at those temps. I'll have to watch you in action sometime. I am a 250 kinda guy.[p]I suppose you can be verbose when you type...as long as you are using verbs!
    Hope all is well
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Not sure why you cant get past 150, I've not ever had that trouble. SLOW and STEADY wins the race at those temps, nothing can be rushed at all. I think I like the PROCESS of slow cooking a butt more (or at least as much) than I actually like the results. Kinda strange but its like fishing to me. On the boat when I'm fishing I get into the process of fishing as much as catching the fist. Picking the right lures or bait, finding the right spot based on weather and tide, trolling at the right speed, time of day, rigging the lines and poles, downriggers set at the right depth. I could fish all day and catch nothing and consider it successful. Its the whole process that I enjoy, the end result of a fish or a finely cooked butt or brisket is merely icing on the cake to me. Maybe its therapy, who knows. I can go to the store and buy fish, whether it be salmon or cobia or snapper a LOT cheaper than I can catch it myself. By the time I add up all of the cost of catching the fish, i.e. gas, boat itself, slip fees, etc, that fish costs about $450 a pound. But its the process of catching it thats fun.[p]Well, more verbose than I wanted but got caught up in a tangent somewhere. It caught me by surprise, never saw it coming until I was completely wrapped up in it.[p]Have a great weekend. Chutney Pork Loin on tap, and some interesting ribs as well, could be a winner recipe, I'll post the results.[p]Troy
  • Orio Kid
    Orio Kid Posts: 87
    Options
    E.B.,
    You are lucky, my wife thinksthat me and my friends are just idiots. Present company excluded of course.
    Jake

• Orio Kid
    Orio Kid Posts: 87
    Options
    E.B.,
    You are lucky, my wife thinksthat me and my friends are just idiots. Present company excluded of course.
    Jake

• Char-Woody
    Options
    sprinter, I'll be danged, but you answered my lifetime fishing question. Many times I have guesstimated the cost of that little crappie in my live well. Especially when I toss him back at the end of the day..:-)
    Have fun with the loin..!!
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    sprinter,
    250 dome temp aint exactly a speed race!! Still takes 2-3 hours a pound for me to finish a brisket at that temp. Must just be me. I used to use 200-220, but have ended up moving up to 250 lately![p]I love your analogy about fishing though. It truly is the enjoyment of the process that counts. In fact, I am gettting a huge urge to throw the canoe up on the truck, and hit the river for some smallmouth. Looks like spring is almost here. Gorgeous breezy day here in the nation's capital today.[p]Have fun with the pork loin!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Sometimes the wind in your hair, saltwater in your eyes, and the gentle hum of the engines is worth the price of admission, at least it is in my book. Got me hankerin for Florida now. Heading down to Panama City in early June to the parents boat. Hope to bring back some fish but the week down there with family and friends will be enough. Spanish Mackerel will be biting, Cobia will be gone unfortunately, King Mackerel will probably be in by that time, deep sea fishing will be OK as well, snapper and grouper etc. Dad and I will surely catch something but if not, I reiterate the first sentence of this post.[p]Troy
  • sprinter
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Yeah, nice one here today too. A bit chilly this weekend (30's during the day) but then it seems that spring weather will finally break for good. Lettuce and spinach is already up in the garden. Looking forward to some salads with grilled whatever on it. Nothing like picking the fresh greens while the meat cooks. Have a great one yourself.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    sprinter, many times I would have liked to trade my fishin rod for a camera when the canoe slips by a blue heron on a sandbar or a kingfisher squatting on a tree branch overhead, or a mink scurring along the rocky shore, and a wild turkey hen with younguns...preparing to fly the river.
    Yup..if ya catch a fish..makes the whole day complete. If not, the day was still a perfect painting...sigh...!
    (Fresh water style) ...C~W