Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby back rib dilemma: How do I cook 'em?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sheesh. I'm not a chef and I need help. [p]I'm reading all these recipes on how to smoke baby back ribs. Most recipes call for smoking at either 225 degrees for 4-5 hours OR 300 degrees for 45 minutes to one hour. A few guys even suggest putting the ribs in boiling water for 30 minutes and then on the BGE for an hour or two after slathering them in sauce. [p]What's the least arsty-farsty way to make great ribs. It's my birthday and I want to impress myself.
Thanks!

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    JimiRayClapton,
    I would not boil them... never boil them.[p]I would set up indirect and cook them from 250*-275* for about 3 hours. Then wrap them in foil and add some apple juice and put back on the egg for another hour to hour and half. Carefull when you open the foil as the steam will be hot. Remove from foil, put back on egg and finish them up. Pretty easy cook. [p]Good luck with them.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    JimiRayClapton,[p]Here's a place to start.
    [ul][li]My Ribs[/ul]
  • Thanks guys. I guess there are a hundred ways to cook 'em. I'll go with the low-heat/long-cook method for starters.
    Thanks!

• eggfoot
    eggfoot Posts: 138
    Options
    porkribs.jpg
    <p />JimiRayClapton,
    make sure you cook them enough, cook them until they fall off the bone. this will be in the 190 to 200ish deg internal. you dont need to check the temp, just cook them untill they are to your liking. the 3hours indirect, 1 hour foiled and out of foil back on the grate to finish works real good. good luck

• JimiRayClapton,[p]If you want them to fall off the bone, you MUST wrap them in foil in my opinion! I usually use whatever sauce or rub I want, and put them on the egg with indirect heat at about 275 with heavy smoke, for about 30-45 minutes. Then, I put heavy sauce on them again and wrap them in foil. I return them to the grill wrapped and leave them for the majority of the cook (about 2 hours or until the bones pop out on the ends about as far as your pinky fingernail.). Then, I unwrap them (careful, they will fall apart when you do this) and put them back on the grill for another 30-45 minutes just to firm them up and burn on a little finishing sauce. They are unbelievable.