Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet on the Mini

Gene613
Gene613 Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok so I am firing up my new MINI for the first time this evening in an attempt at BACON WRAPPED FILETS. Any suggestions? I will be cooking 2 8oz filets.

Comments

• JohnF
    JohnF Posts: 31
    Gene613,[p]Yes Gene, go to the store and buy some dry ice. Pack them puppies in a small cooler and ship them off to me.
  • Gene613,[p]Here's a video site for kicks that shows the TREX method.
    http://homepage.mac.com/philhanna/Food/iMovieTheater212.html[p]The basic idea is to get the egg really, really hot 600-700, throw on the steaks with the cover up for a minute or two on a side. Take the meat off and let it rest for a while. Meanwhile get the egg down to about 400 and then put the steak back on with the lid down for a few more minutes.[p]I think with a filet you really don't want to do more than a minute per side for each time it's put on the grill or you'll dry it out. [p]My two cents,
    Hank

• JohnF,
    Man if you only knew the deal my butcher shop has on these puppies!! They are awesome (not something you find in the grocery store) plus REASONABLY prices 4-8oz/$27.99. I mean these puppies you can cut with a fork like a hot knife through butter.

• Hank,
    Thought about TREXing them. Is using the mini any different (besides size) from a large?

• Gene613,[p]Sorry, I can't tell you much about the small. I've only used a large egg. I'm sure it can handle the temps, but you might wait for someone with more smarts than me to comment here.[p]Hank
  • Hank,
    Thanks, see all I have ever used is a medium and a large. The medium I only had about a month so really all I have used is a large so the MINI is COMPLETELY new!!

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Gene613,[p]Mini is like a large, etc, except you are usually very close to the coals. That means keep an eye on it. Don't do a high temp sear for quite as long..the suggestion of a minute maybe if you get real high temps is plenty.[p]Just offhand, why the bacon? Never quite understood it on a good piece of meat. You're not going to cook it long enough to dry out unless you're going for well done and if so, we'll just end this conversation!!![p]mShark
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    mollyshark,
    Go get um girl.Might as well fry that puppy on the stove.

• mollyshark,
    Not sure about the bacon either?!?!?!?! That's how it comes so thats how I am cooking it!! I think I will skip the high temp sear and just cook at reasonable temp for a few minutes per side. As for WELL DONE NO WAY you might as well give me a leather boot instead. I want mine med/rare, nice and brown on the outside and nice and dark pink on the inside.

• eggfoot
    eggfoot Posts: 138
    minitemp350.jpg
    <p />Gene613,
    you can get the mini as hot as the rest. i just got my mini last week and love it. seems a bit hard to keep in the 250is range but i have not tried very hard either. you dont use any lump so to speak in that little guy, great for a 350ish steak cook.