Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gimme your best lighting tips...

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What do you use to light the charcoal?[p]I've done newspaper and matches, a torch and currently using an electric starter(which SUCKS!)... there has to be an easier way!!!

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Erin Cooley,
    I have tried them all and I like MAPP gas the best.
    Larry

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    MAPP. Been using it for several years and it has to be the best way.
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Erin Cooley,
    I use starter cubes from Menards I buy a package of 3 sticks for $1.17 they are about 6" long then break them into about 1" squares for low and slow only use 1 for higher temp and quicker either 2 or 3 easy to light and burn up quickly
    Gerry

• Erin Cooley,[p]I've never understood why everyone makes such a big deal of getting an egg lit. I've NEVER had any trouble. [p]All I ever do is break off a piece of fire starter log about the size of a silver dollar, lite it and let sit for 60-90 seconds to get going good, then pile up the charcoal around it. It's usually already sitting on the charcoal left over from the last cook. I leave both vents open and in 15 minutes I'm good to go.

• Erin Cooley,
    MAPP for me as well.

• Erin Cooley,
    MAPP here too. It's quick and easy, just hit a few spots with it for about a minute each and your good to go.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Erin Cooley,[p]Another vote for MAPP quick and easy. I spent $8 on starter cubes in 2 months. Altho the torch cost $32, the $8 MAPP canister is still lighting 5 months later. I expect to be $s ahead by summer.[p]gdenby

• Erin Cooley,[p]MAPP. If nothing else, it's fun! Be sure to wear glasses or safety glasses as some lump goes off like fireworks when you hit it with the torch.
  • Erin Cooley,[p]Weed burner (Not like the ones from your college days!) hooked up to a propane tank. Lights in about 30 secs with the added benefit of sounding like a fighter jet taking off from your patio![p]Jon

• not to sound stupid but what is a mapp?is it a propane torch?sounds like it's real easy
  • YB,
    You got to play with gas. Mapp gas with self lighting turbo tip. Who doesn't like playing with fire.

• Erin Cooley,
    Check out this web site. Anything else you use is second rate. That'a my story and I'm sticking to it. [p]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91037[p]Chef Jerry[p]

• Erin Cooley,
    20 seconds, 3 spots....close the dome...done. Wear safety glasses and shirts that you don't mind holes burnt in from the popping. Some lump is worse than others. Alas, the price we pay for cooking food with fire...

• Erin Cooley,
    Electric starter. Takes about 3 minutes longer than a MAPP torch, don't have to worry about holes in your shirt, and is the cheapest method.

• bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Heya Erin Cooley,[p]Ok Erin, they all gonna laugh at primative Diva, but I STILL use a chimney :P Two full chimneys cooks four racks of ribs for over 4-5 hours :P[p]I'll get some ribbing for this, I know.[p]Regards,[p]thediva
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Erin Cooley,
    seems the MAAP contingent has arrived in full force, so nothing to add to that. it does work great. propane won't really work. much too long to hold in one spot.[p]so here's some other info.[p]in a pinch, crumpled newspaper will do the trick. two or three sheets. lots of ash though, so only in an emergency.[p]even better in an emergency (the guy who gave us this tip actually does it ALL the time), twist two or three paper towel pieces tight at one end and loose at the other. drizzle olive oil on each, light and flames away![p]if the dome lid freezes shut, light from below thru the vent door with newspaper. it'll throw tall enough flames thru the fire grate to heat the air/dome and eventually melt the ice and free the dome.[p]try starting lo-and-slo cooks in a coupla three spots. some swear it helps prevent the fire going out or straight down.[p]when you light it, put the daisy on open to the approx. settings you are looking for. it won't appreciably slow the growth of the fire, and it'll help guard against overshooting your temps (if you get distracted).[p]i like starters, because the MAAP can spark like a banshee, plus, i'm in no rush. (even if i were in a rush, i can light three starters and drop them in and shut the lid faster than i can blast three different spots for 30 seconds each. but i digress...) but see, i'm cheap, too, so i came up with this: starters are paraffin and sawdust/paper pressed together. i bought a cheap fast burning fireplace log, left it out in the sun til warm, and poked it apart with a flathead screwdriver. i got two one-gallon ziplocs filled with the sharp-edged irregular stuff, and use two or three for a lo-and-slo, and maybe five if i want to get a sear going quick. the rough edges light quick, and a three dollar log goes almost all summer. no, there aren't deathly chemicals in them. it's wax and sawdust. some logs have harmless salts to create color. but aside from being harmless, you just avoid them anyway. [p]that's about it for now. tryna wrap a frikkin piano for christmas. ...no kidding.
    hahahaha

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    El Jefe,
    dude, you are dealing with the cheapest dude on the planet.[p]try chunked up three dollar fireplace log.
    hahahahaha[p]it'll never melt when you forget it in there, either. ...or go on the fritz. [p]i can never find a cord when i go camping. you know, that is, if i ever went campin'

• Jwirlwind,
    I concur. I've tried the rest of the tricks... graduated from the propane torch to the Mapp... and finally one of these 500,000 BTU bad boys.... There's no comparison to these. One tank of fuel lasts about a year, and it takes under a minute to get red coals across the top of the egg. Within 5 minutes you can be at 300. Heats up way faster than a gas grill.[p]Hands down, the weed burner works! (plus it's a novelty when you fire it up) It'll make any griller smile![p]Mike in MN

• Jwirlwind,
    i think i'll get one of those for my egg martha today. plus i can use it to send the weeds to their maker in the summer.[p]i've been using starter squares, but i want more power![p](i'll probably end up with a mapp torch too)

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    IMG_0211_small.jpg
    <p />Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]They truly are the way to go, not just for lighting lump but for cleaning grates and even roasting peppers! If you look under "Gas-Propane" in the yellow pages you can find a list of propane dealers. Most of them sell equipment like bottles, heaters and of course torches. What is nice is they will sell you any length of hose, quick connects if you want them and offer several lengths on the wand. My hose is 20' and my wand is about 30". A long wand is really handy as it keeps you out of harms way of hotties when lighting your lump.[p]Here is a link to a site with a lot of propane cooking accessories including torches and burners of all sorts.[p]~thirdeye~
    [ul][li]Propane Burners[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    sunsets.jpg
    <p />Jwirlwind,
    cant beat the weed burner. its the fastest way out there. burned up a few mapp torches along the way, but the cheap 20 dollar weed burner from harbor freight has lasted me a couple of years now and its kept out side in the rain and snow, like has been said, it also cleans the grill, lights my fire pit, and burns weeds as well. it does make the lump spark, but you can also stand several feet back.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    bbqdiva,[p]I use a very small chimney - for lo / slo I dump it on top of load of lump, and for nuke I dump the chimney into the egg and dump fresh lump on top.[p]It's all good...
  • ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107
    stike,[p]Cheap???? Let's see - 42 Day Dry Aged Beef, 196X Wine - who are you kidding. [p]How about selective on what you spend money on...[p]-ChrisC
  • stike
    ChrisC,
    how the hell you think i save for that stuff!?[p]hahaha
    touche'![p]...have had only one car for 12 years though, and got dang near the cheapest/smallest house in town.[p]man hasta have priorities!

• ChrisC,[p]true dat!!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    SouthOfI10,
    I've burned holes in two shirts so far. -RP

• I have to start doing this... Holes in shirts sounds just too fun.

• thirdeye,
    too late! i went to harbor freight after work and i'm ready to burn something![p](btw, i got my egg from a propane place. i think that's funny and i'd like to see hank hill sell someone an egg on king of the hill!)

• fishlessman,
    nice! i'm going outside to burn something now. see ya![p](sunsets?)