Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Louisiana Shrimp any good recipes?

Options
Wingman
Wingman Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have two lbs of fresh huge Louisiana shrimp that I'm getting ready to clean. I was going to do a lemon pepper splash on them and straight on the grill. [p]Any other good recipes out there?
Matt

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Wingman,
    There is a ton of ideas on the "Woosday Seafood Thread"[p]Wishbone Italian Dressing, a little honey, cayenne pepper to taste. At least 1 hour, then grill.[p]Mike

• Wingman
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I saw the postings but not the recipes. These shrimp look great.
    Matt

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Wingman,[p]I would be reaching for the Panko and a deep fryer.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • bwallass
    Options
    Wingman,[p]Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it. [p]your truly
    Bubba

• Wingman,
    Our food coop (ironically not yet in existance) did a "gesture of support for the Katrina shrimpmen" and we bought 5 pound packages which were flown in em masse and picked up at a bakery. Now, I have not had much experience in shrimpees and I am having trouble handling my Williams Sonoma Shrimp peeler and deveiner. (I must have seen this event occurring from a great distance because I didn't know I owned a shrimp peeler.) I saw one reference that says he doesn't bother deveining, but I am very afraid of not doing that. So, how do I do it in less than 5 minutes per shrimp and without losing the shell? Or do you lose the shell. Or do you not devein? Also, forgive my stupidity, but which side is up when you are deveining?

• BOBF
    BOBF Posts: 177
    Options
    Wingman,[p]I think simple is best. I do not know how much you have but I like to do it two ways when I do not have a lot of time: 1) Skewer some that are peeled and devined, baste with EVOO and lemon juice, sprinkle with Raging River (or your choice), and grill- also grill some skewers of pineapple and/or 2) Put some EVOO in a skillet and saute some finely chopped garlic until clear, throw in the shrimp, stir and hit them with some white wine and lemon or lime juice. Do not overcook! JMHO. Enjoy.

• BOBF
    Options
    kk,[p]First I pop the head off. Then start at the head end and peel the shell off in sections. When you get back one or so sections you can usually squeeze the tail (I an sure Stumpy will come in here) and the meat will come out of the shell. The sand vein that you want to remove is on the top (It ain't a vein and it ain't sand). Just take a sharp knife and run it along the back from the tail to the front. and you will see the the dark vein and just pull it out and wash the shrimp. You can cut thru the shell and remove the vein and leave the tail and shell in place if you want and grill them in the shell. I have only lived and/or worked in LA for 33 years so I am still an outsider and a newbie, but I am learning. Enjoy - and our fishermen deserve all the help we can provide. I always buy LA crawfish and shrimp if they are available. Maybe 15 - 20 secs each to peel and devine and I am slow.

• Wingman,
    these were frozen, but i guess you could use fresh!

[ul][li]garlic shrimp[/ul]
  • BOBF,
    Hey, thanks. Will tackle another group this weekend.

• BOBF
    Options
    kk,[p]Enjoy. Forgot to add that a sip of two of beer between shrimp eases the task.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Wingman,
    The following is a recipe that has always gone over great. I am planning to make it for New Years Eve.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk

[ul][li]Pickapeppa’s Peppa-Q-Shrimp [/ul]