Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Ribs Success - My First Shot at it! (Long)

Options
Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Due to the deep discussion of Baby Backs Versus earlier in the week I decided to put it to the test.[p]Last night... I prepared the St. Louis Spare ribs according to Steven Raichlen book "How to Grill. Cut of the caps and skirt etc. I marinated the ribs in a baking dish in a mixture of Apple Cider Vinegar and water mixture appoximately 2:1. I added some honey probably three tablespoonsful and some black pepper and cayenne pepper. I let is soak for about three hours. I then took it out and patted it dry with a clean towel. Then I got plain old French's yellow mustard and used Bad Byron's "Butt Rub.". I put in Fridge overnight. [p]Today, at 11:00 I had my BGE stablized at 220 (Indirect set up -- plate setter with legs up drip pan with water underneath grate) and put the ribs on my rib rack. I didn't open the dome for three hours once I put it on! I checked it put in foil and wrapped continued cooking for about 2 hours. Then I looked at em sauced em with "STUBB's Spicy" BBQ sauce and I mixed it this way 2/3 BBQ sauce 1/3 cup of honey left in foil pulled about 4:30pm. The hard part was letting it rest on the table without eating them. 5:00 pm Ribs N BREAD.... what else do ya need? Ok I had some Lemonade to clean my palate :=) [p]Why this long story?
To say thanks to my fellow Eggheads of course:
Rich G -- Idea about mixing stubs with honey
Ronbeaux -- For giving me a free bag of "Nature's Mesquite" to field test
The rest of you -- For putting up with my long stories and to inspire me to do the cook today. THANKS ALL!!!

Comments