Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking help

Options
char buddy
char buddy Posts: 562
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did some thin pork chops(1/2 inch) last week following the advice of C-W, or was it Char Woody. Anyway I did cooked them for 1.5/1.5/5 at 500* like thin steaks.[p]Today I have thick pork chops (an inch) and I was hoping someone might have some idea how I might modify the cook to get them done with just a hint of pink in the center.[p]Also, what happens if you use whole grain mustard instead of French's?[p]

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    char buddy ,
    Just increase the sear times to 3 minutes per side and leave the dwell at five minutes. If they do not seem done, check the internal temperature and make sure that it is at least 155.[p]Give the brown mustard a try and lets us know how it works. Just as a guess I would think that brown mustard would impart too much flavor to the meat, but I could be wrong.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    char buddy ,
    I did some last night that I had froze in some "World Harbor's" marinade. They were pushing 1.5" thick and were boneless.[p]I did them 3-3-8 and the Egg was just under 600 degrees when I started. I used pecan wood as the smoke.
    I can't believe we put up with fried thin chops for so long![p]
    Good luck and good eatin'![p]
    Dr. Chicken[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, did my extra thick Iowa chops the other night pretty much the same way..I rubbed em down first..refrigerated half a day..and about 4 minutes per side, and about minute in shut down simmer over hot coals..Very close to perfect with a teeeeeensy bit of pink to the center..very juicy.
    I have tried the brown mustards..but the good old yellow is my pick..
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, did my extra thick Iowa chops the other night pretty much the same way..I rubbed em down first..refrigerated half a day..and about 4 minutes per side, and about minute in shut down simmer over hot coals..Very close to perfect with a teeeeeensy bit of pink to the center..very juicy.
    I have tried the brown mustards..but the good old yellow is my pick..
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody, ya done it again...you meant 10 minutes in idle diddly down time...caps on vent shut. Or both daisy/slider/vent barely cracked.
    Folks gonna think you be a __________!!