Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

couple of racks of baby backs for tomorrow .. any tips?

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
got a couple of racks of baby backs for the army/navy game tomorrow ... plan on maybe going with raging river rub but not sure what sauce to use . ...have some sweet baby rays, some ken stone big chief. .some wimer's 'two dogs' (thinking of going with that, but toning it down with some honey and/or brown sugar -that stuff is pretty peppery) ...also have a bottle of "loose lip larry's" someone gave me in atlanta (is that any good on ribs?). ..[p]also figure i'd go 3-1-1. ..any other tips for a good rack of baby backs??. ..[p]thanks in advance[p]mad "GO ARMY - BEAT NAVY" max

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    hey mikey. .. tell me how you cook yours!!. .. you are the 'rib jedi master'. .. .
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Yeah . . . per my post of a day or two ago, unless you want it really falling off the bone, drop the temp or cut the time a bit on the first stage and maybe the others as well. 3-1-1 is too long for babybacks at 275 dome [p]Damn, did I just give a tip to the master? wow![p];~)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    My gosh, Max. I think you are funnin with everyone.[p]Okay, don't laugh. Ragin River is high in sugar content and doesn't take misting well. Keep below 225 if possible.[p]Ken Stones, Witchy Red was great the other night. See pic below. Sweet Baby Rays, yes. [p]Mike

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Haggis,
    thanks. .. .but when it comes to ribs, especially baby-backs, i don't have a lot of experience. . .this old dog can definitely still learn some tricks. . .

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    you guys are cracking me up. .. i've done baby backs exactly one time in my life. . .[p]i love witchy red ...forgot all about it. ...so witchy red and baby rays is definitely a go . . .[p]and since i wasn't paying much attention in atlanta, you don't foil do you?? . . . just a straight 225 cook for how long?? . . ..

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I had this conversation a couple days ago with someone else.[p]I start the ribs at 210-225 for the first couple hours with cherry chunks or apple.
    The next couple hours I bump up to 225-250. Misting every hour with apple juice/apple cider vinegar.[p]I never foil. I bump the temp up to 250-275, the last 1/2 hour or so. You can see the fat boiling out.[p]Blues Hog.[p]Mike

• Apple
    Apple Posts: 49
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, Hey Max, as you know, Julie and I have been doin ribs on the BGE for about 8 years now. Our best lesson learned is....less is more. Let the egg do its thing. 275 in the dome, plate setter w/drip pan, rub of your choice, sauce of your choice when you choose to sauce, do not foil, do not turn ribs, do not monkey with the magic and when you think they are FINALLY done..........cook em another 20 minutes. It's a beautiful thing. Enjoy, Steve.

• Eroc
    Eroc Posts: 53
    Options
    ribby.jpg
    <p />mad max beyond eggdome,
    I usually do mine 4.5-5.5 hours at 225-250 in a rib rack with either DP stuff or John Henry's.
    a little bit of hickory and apple wood.
    no foil, mist once or twice after 3 hours.
    sauce as a side.
    not fall off the bone, but only takes a slight pull.
    I did these last week...[p]

• Eroc
    Options
    Eroc,
    i forgot about sauce, i like NC style, bone suckin', or bronco bobs bacon chipolte, or this local joint andy nelson's bottle stuff..

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    oh, blues hog. ..yeh, thats the stuff you brought me all the way from missouri and then took back to missouri with you!! :-) [p]but thanks for the timing tips :-))

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    bbacks1.jpg
    <p />mad max beyond egg dome,
    Read the other thread. I keep bumping my temp up as the ribs cook. Just habit, heck it works for me.[p]Mike

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Eroc,
    i like bone sucking sauce a lot also ... maybe one rack with bone sucking sauce and one with sweet baby rays. .. which rub do you like with the bone suckin sauce?

• Eroc
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    dizzy dust, ragin river, or john henry's pecan rub.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    do you put anything in the drip-pan??

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    eroc ,
    got all three :-)[p]family likes their ribs on the sweet side, so i think i'm set on one rack with witchy red and sweet baby rays, and on the other one, raging river with bone sucking sauce. .. follow CWM's temp guidance .. .i have a nice chunk of cherry and some apple chunks. . .so i'm good to go :)[p]do you put any liquid in your drip pan??

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Apple,
    thanks steve!! . .. .i'm definitely a patient guy, so i have no problem doing the "set it and forget" thing (although i may do the misting thing now and then) ..looking forward to them!![p]say hi to julie!![p]hope you guys are snugg up there in all that snow :)

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p] Check your mail.. Since you are an ARMY fan :)
  • 17-18nov06-012.jpg
    <p />mad max beyond eggdome,
    jamaican firewalk and your favorite jerk marinade.
    3/1/1

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Max - do we need to open up the Brent rib hotline? lol[p]He needs a bit more practice before we think about that. :)[p]Anyway, we are making three little babyback slabs tomorrow as well. I usually use a combo of STT & DD - the STT goes on the meaty side, and the DD goes on the bony side (after peeling off the membrane).
    They go on indirect (no drip pan)at 225-250 dome for about 4 hours (at least 6 for spares) with a little bit of smoke - but not much. Sometimes I spray them, sometimes I don't. If I am lazy - which I usually am, I just take them off after that and let people sauce them at the table. If I'm feeling more energetic, I pull them off and change it to direct and do an hour of saucing/ flipping. They turn out really good that way, but I am far too lazy to do it that way all the time. :)[p]Gimme a call if you need help - I will probably have my cell phone on me most of the time. If not....I'm in the phone book :)

• Eroc
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    no.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    thanks pete, got it!! [p]dad is west pointer class of 47 . .. still president of his class, getting ready for his 60th reunion next spring!! ...

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    thanks rick. ...i could probably handle that combo, but probably too much heat for the rest of the gang. .. they do look good though !!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    AlaskanC,
    you know, i just might give brent a call tomorrow!! . .keep pumping up his BGE ego!! . . . we'll get him to buy that second egg sooner than later. .. our little conspiracy continues. ..heeee[p]i'm going to bed now .. .nighty night!!

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p] I was active Duty Nov 19th 1975 - June 23rd 1983 GO ARMY..[p]If you want the sauce that goes with that rub let me know, but any sauce should be OK
  • mad max beyond egg dome,
    Still say Wasabi powder added to Sweet Baby Ray's takes it to a lovely level but haven't tried it on ribs....

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Well if you call him tomorrow I want you to remind him that he called the egg "his".[p]If that is truly the case, I would like to know where MY egg is! (another large, just in case he asks....) :)
  • SouthOfI10
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Indirect over a pan (sometimes apple juice in the pan), 225-250 dome. No foil, no sauc. Spray 'em a time or two if you feel fancy or just like the smell of pecan smoke in your clothes. I quit timing mine; they're done when they're done. Sometimes sauce, sometimes dry.[p]All hail CWM, Rib-Yoda...[p]DSC00229.jpg[p]
    DSC00235.jpg[p]The JD sauce isn't bad, but I prefer Sweet Baby Ray's.[p]ss

• JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    Options
    Max,[p]Glad to see you are rooting for the right team. I'm doing wings of some type for the game.[p]GO ARMY!!!!!
    BEAT NAVY!!!![p]
    John
    West Point
    Class of 1992

• Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    JM3,[p]You got that backward!!
    GO NAVY
    BEAT ARMY
    USNA '67

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    JM3,
    my dad. ..class of 47 . ..30 years in the corp of engineers. . still class president, getting ready for his '60th . ..