Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Great success with pulled pork (pics)

Options
OlatheMike
OlatheMike Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did my first Pork Shoulder. Large BGE with BBQ Guru. 11 lbs. of Pork Shoulder from Costco, heavily rubbed with Head Country championship seasoning, smoked for a whopping 21 hours at 250 (dome temp) before reaching 195 degrees internal. Put in a lot of apple and pecan wood right off the bat. Wrapped in foil, then towels and placed it in a cooler for 2 hours. Made a ton, turned out incredible.[p]I found it funny that the guru reads lower than the dome. I set the guru to around 225 because that's when the dome read 250. I think I need to experiment with the placement of the guru probe. The big black blob freaked me out a little when opening the BGE. When it basically fell apart when transferring it to foil, I knew it was a success.[p]
[p]pork1.gif
[p]pork2.gif
[p]pork3.gif

[ul][li]More pictures of BGE projects[/ul]

Comments

• AZ Traveler
    Options
    OlatheMike,[p]Looks good. Nice job. AZ
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    OlatheMike,
    Congratulations, looks great. Just a thought, when I do mine I don't use a V rack, just put the drip pan on the inverted plate-setter then the grid and the butts directly on the grid. No V rack to clean up. I do the same with meatloaf, just form the meatloaf in a waxed paper lined loaf pan and let it set up over night in the fridge then remove the loaf and put it directly on the grid over inverted plate-setter and drip pan.[p]No right or wrong way, whatever is working for ya.[p]Cheers,
    Bordello

• Matanuska
    Options
    I'm not sure where you place the Guru probe, but I typically see a 30 to 50 degree difference between the dome & the grid temperatures. The dome will be higher in an indirect setup (with a platesetter or something else between the grid & the charcoal). In a direct cook the temperature difference flips (the grid is higher).
  • bbqdiva
    bbqdiva Posts: 192
    Options
    Heya Bordello,[p]NICE! Enjoyed all the pics on your link as well. Beautiful beer can chickies. Your cart is nice too, love the color :-)[p]Keep the pictures commin :-)[p]Tish

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    bbqdiva,
    Thanks but you got confused by the post. It's "OlatheMike" post with the great pictures. Hell, wish I could take credit but can't do that. LOL[p]Thanks anyway,[p]Bordello

• OlatheMike,
    beautiful, man.
    i haven't tried a pulled pork shoulder yet... i'm kinda chicken.
    i want the guru before i do it.[p]anyone know how the guru works in a medium egg? and i guess they have different capacity fans?

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]Nothin' to be afraid of. [p]Shoulder, like a butt, is still a most forgiving piece of meat. [p]My family feels the shoulder has more flavor than a butt so I haven't done a butt in 4 years. Usually get a bone in and leave the skin on. 1 1/2 to 2 hours a pound at dome 250º pull at 200º internal.
  • Sundown,
    what i'm afraid of is trying to force myself to throw away 8 pounds of pork if it doesn't work out. i think i'll try a small 5 pounder so i can cook it all day instead of overnight.[p]hey, i thought
    Boston butt = Boston roast = pork butt roast = pork shoulder Boston butt = Boston-style shoulder =
    Boston shoulder = Boston-style butt = fresh pork butt = pork shoulder blade roast
    per the bge online forum cookbook, 2003?

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    You can't screw up a Picnic Shoulder - Pork Shoulder or anything else off the front leg of a pig. You just can't![p]Don't know about all of those names. It's either a butt or a shoulder no matter how you slice or pull it.

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,I am no expert either but the "Butt" and "Shoulder" are adjoining parts off the pig's front leg/shoulder. The "Butt" is the upper section and has no skin, usually packaged as a square shape. The "shoulder" looks like leg, tapers down toward where the pig's knee is, has a lot of skin and bone. Both are great for pulled pork but you throw away more skin and bone with the "shoulder",which is really the upper front leg.I think the word "Butt" relates to an old term used in colonial times in Boston ; the barrels that they were packed in ; it is from the front end of the hog not the rear....