Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shakin' The Tree Turkey

Options
drbbq
drbbq Posts: 1,152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
With all due respect to Mad Max I did something different with my turkey today and it was really good!
I had planned to do my first Mad Max turkey but I ended up defrosting a small one and I used my butter for a pie and some pulled pork stuffing and I never got back to the store for the fresh herbs so I had to try something different. I cut it into three pieces. Two leg quarters with backbone and one whole breast, bone in. I did cut off the middle wing sections and grilled them for an early snack. Next choice was what to season with. I've always been a fan of Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin but I haven't tried most of the others just because I'm always making up new rubs of my own for the cookbooks, but I recently got a full assortment with the intention of testing them out. So if you scroll down you'll see that Alaskanc recomended the Shakin' The Tree and that's what I used. Man that stuff is good. I can't believe the lemon taste held up on that turkey. Must be something to that fresh grinding huh? I also made some perfect homemade mashed potatoes but my gravy was from a package. It really didn't matter though because my three piece turkey was tender and juicy and delicious so not much gravy was needed. I'm full!

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ

Comments

• Apple
    Apple Posts: 49
    Options
    drbbq, Happy thanksgiving Ray. Julie and I got to thinkin (not recommended) about all the birds that will go on sale tomorrow. So we decided to pick up a small one or two, 8-10 lbs. and do some turkey spatchcocking. Spanish Mojo sauce is one of our favs for poultry marinating then maybe a good dusting of DP Shakin the tree. I can't believe I'm gettin hungry again already. Have a good weekend, Steve.

• Eroc
    Eroc Posts: 53
    Options
    drbbq,
    I used shakin the tree on an apple brined turkey (recipe from WSM forum), and it was really good.
    Stuff's really good on turkey burgers, too.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Hey Ray,
    I did something similar today. I did 2 turkeys on 2 Eggs, split the fronts from the backs and cooked the fronts to 161 and the backs to 180. The backs took about 15 minutes longer than the fronts. Worked great. -RP

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Apple,[p]How long do you marinade a bird with the mojo?[p]E
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Cool Ray! Thanks for the kind words, and glad it worked out for you. I am gonna go buy a turkey today (should be nice and cheap), and I'm also planning on cutting the beotch up into pieces so I can cook the dark and white meat differently. Looks like I know what rub I'm gonna try![p]Hope you woke up all digested. I had stuff tryin to work it's way back up my esophagus all night long! Bro-in-Law actually did a purty good job on the turkey. It was a fine meal and a great evening with family.[p]Cheers man!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Mine stayed down nicely. I just had a sandwich for breakfast. [p]The way I cut it the parts all cooked for the same amount of time and were all done just right. I didn't know what to expect and just got a little lucky.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ