Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If you had to pick ONE thing to cook on your BGE what and how do you do it.

Smokin' in GA
Smokin' in GA Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a first time poster. And not a BGE owner YET! But I want to be convinced even more how good the BGE is. [p]Please answer this for me:[p]If you could only cook one more thing on your BGE before it was taken away and distroyed, what would it be.
I would like to hear how good it worked in the past, what techniques you used, and whatever else you would like to add.[p]My #1 concern is I buy a BGE and get it home and have no clue how to maximize its full use. I can grill, and I've given up propane, and the metal junk grills I buy don't make a season. [p]I think some responses to these questions will show me what you, the experts, like cooking the most and how you mastered that particular food (maybe with ease)
Thank you,
Matt

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Matthew,
    I don't know if this is a "one time, last meal thing." but I like the BGE so much I'm baking a cheese cake. Here is a teaser with more posts to follow.

cheesecake004.jpg[p]
    cheesecake003.jpg[p]

Pecan caramel cheese cake.[p]Buy one, you'll like it!
  • Matthew,[p]My favorite type of BBQ is a slow cooked pork butt, nothing like a piping hot pulled pork sandwich topped with fresh coleslaw.[p]Happens to be an easy cook on the Egg, simply load up the Egg with lump and light her up and wait for 15-20 hours for what I would call "Real Barbecue".[p]My 2¢
    -Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    d7389712.jpg
    <p />Matthew,[p]That's a tough question man...I have two Eggs and use them about 40% of the time for grilling and 60% of the time for barbecuing. They perform great for each.[p]I could easily tell you the 4 things I would cook. Maybe I could even pick 3. But one is impossible because my favorite things change from time to time. So, shooting from the hip, two of my favorites in the last month have been brisket (above) and pork steak, below.[p]6fc6c1a8.jpg[p]~thirdeye~[p][p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Matthew,
    dry-aged strip steak, salt, no pepper til it's on the plate.[p]800 for 2 minutes a side direct, pull it off, dial back to 400 while the steak rests. back on at 400 for about 90 seconds a side 'til 135 internal

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Matthew,[p] I just got me two nice tri-tips at Costco. They will be marinaded and put in my XL. While I was at Costco I got to 8 pound Pork Butts. They will be one my Egg this week being turned into Pulled Pork. Lucky me Smitty is on the other side of the country. Tomorrow a 25 pound Turkey will be in there.[p] I got a pork loin I will turn into Loin Chops and a Roast. They two will end up in my Egg.[p] Have I convinced you yet..
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Matthew,
    That's unfair a question to ask us. [p]One night I like chicken one night I like steak the next night I like pulled pork one night I like pork chops one night I like pizza and the problem?

• Matthew,
    i guess i'd have to say no. 1 would be t-rex steaks and/or prime rib .. ..[p]DSCN0600.jpg[p]i haven't eaten steak or beef of any kind in a restaurant in over 4 years now ...

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Matthew,
    Lamb shoulder; I'm doing one tomorrow. Here is the link to the "submitted recipes" from the home page: http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/newRecipes/lamb0318.htm
    Have fun!

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Being a Florida girl, Matthew, I'd have to say lobster. Following is a perfect recipe! JCA

[ul][li]Dwell in the shell[/ul]
  • MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    Celtic Wolf,
    Glad your Costco had the tri-tip!

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    MakoBBQ,
    A pork, crown roast filled with hot Italian sausage.[p]I have cook many with as many fillings for the center. The hot, Italian adds a flavor to the pork that traditional stuffings do not.[p]Like turkey stuffing, try variations.[p]I cook @ 225 to 250 depending on the temp that I can stabalize. As for all cooks, I spritz once an hour with one bottle of olive oil & one of apple juice. I cook to temp not to time.[p]

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Matthew,
    I have had my Large BGE for a little over a month now. I spent money on a Weber Silver Genesis two years ago! My Dad got a Medium BGE this past Father's day, my brother shortly thereafter bought a medium BGE, then my sister and her husband got a Large BGE, then at last I got a Large BGE. [p]I can tell you my wife never liked pork chops off the Gas Grill it was dry and/or rubbery. I convinced her to let me cook them one time on my new BGE she tried it and told me they were as good as steak! If you knew my wife you would know how picky an eater she is. [p]
    Before I purchased my BGE I researched other cereamic BGE wanna BE's. I found the link below read this site a few times and you will see what I am talking about.[p]For my last meal I would pick the TREX steak off the Naked whiz website... to be convinced check it out for yourself.[p]Best Regards, Pharmeggist[p]P.S. I took so many samples over to my neigboor he bought a large BGE about two weeks ago. If your still not convinced I will make you a great deal on my barely used Weber Gasser.

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm[/ul]
  • All you people are W-A-Y too forgiving.[p]I’d be T-Rexing the testicles of the person who tried to take one of my Eggs.

• Matthew,
    I can't say one thing....I vote for chineese instead.[p]Otherwise...[p]used these tomatoes and ribs for a fantasic spagetti sauce
    Picture.jpg[p]
    Made tons of these, always got, "best ribs ever" from all who ate!![p]Ribs%20almost%20done%20050202%20001.jpg[p]Go ahead cook a better steak somewhere else! TRex rules![p]mmmm%20tenderloin.jpg[p]my fist real cook, pulled pork, and I left the house with the BGE cookin all day by itself!![p]picnic%20shoulder%20@198%20040731.JPG[p]
    yeah, just take an onion and do this...
    random%20264.jpg[p]
    Now this here is special.
    We cooked the bread on the egg.[p]Then smoked the shrimp here too with hickory wood.
    You'll never have a better scampi...trust me![p]scampi%20with%20italian%20bread.jpg

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    MakoBBQ,[p] Yep they were right there in the meat counter. :)