Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey -- To brine or not to brine....

Options
egginator
egginator Posts: 569
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last year's brine didn't go so well because I have bouts of idiocy. I'm hoping this board can cure that. Is it worth the trouble? If I have a cheap frozen bird, will it help more than if I have a nice fresh bird? Did Max alreay address this and I missed it?[p]Thanks,[p]Ed

Comments

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Cheap (and not so cheap) frozen birds may already be 'brined' when they are processed.[p]
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Egginator,
    I'm just too lazy to hastle with it, I spend the extra couple bucks and buy Butterball turkeys. They're already brined. -RP

• Topo Gigio
    Options
    Egginator, I brined my grain fed fresh turkey this past (Canadian) thanksgiving. Its the first one I have ever done, so I can't compare it to a non-brined egged bird. It turned out really juicy, with rave reviews for weeks afterward. I followed WessB's instruction on the brine and Max's instruction for the rest. The one thing I can caution you about is the turkey gravy from the brined bird will by salty. So don't add any additional salt to the gravy without tasting it first.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    AZRP,
    Re: Butterball Turkey's[p]Just a heads up, there frozen turkeys are brined, if you get fresh at holiday time they are not. I have called them two years in a row to check and have gotten the same answer.[p]Happy T day to ya,
    Bordello

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Bordello,
    Thanks, that's interesting that the fresh ones wouldn't be processed the same. -RP

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Egginator,[p] Personally I like the taste of Turkey the way it is. I go out of my way to find fresh or all natural frozen birds.[p] I spice them up with the stuffing and basting.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    AZRP,
    Yes,
    This seems to come up each year and that is why I started calling Butterball to get the straight scoop. Just be sure it's a fresh one and not a previously frozen one that has been thawed out.[p]Happy T day,
    Bordello

• FSUScotsman
    Options
    Egginator,[p]Here in Tallahassee, I've yet to find a fresh turkey. The one 'real' butcher didn't even have them last year. I'm stuck with frozen
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Egginator,
    i never brine my birds. . .simply because i'm too lazy .. .i buy fresh birds (not organic, but fresh). ..around here (virginia), i really like the shady brook farms turkeys ..been buying them for years now .. .with all the basting i do, they always come out very moist without brining . ..