Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sprinter, I`m trying your

Options
Mop
Mop Posts: 496
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
virgin olive oil and rub marinade for dinner tonight...
I have a couple of strip loin steaks sitting in some olive oil, red wine vinegar, montreal steak spice and some Bonesmokers rub...[p]very small amounts of each...maybe one tablespoon of the vinegar and oil per steak...
They smell great..
I`ll post after dinner..[p]Mop!

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Mop,[p]Good luck with it. I have a meeting this evening right after work so I wont be able to post but will be interested to see how things work out. Just a note, I've never tried this method with a sear and dwell, I always cook my steaks direct over a relatively moderate heat, like 350 or so. Dont know if it would make a difference but I did want to let you know.[p]Go for it and get ready for some good eats.[p]Troy
  • Mop
    Options
    sprinter,,I`m going to go with your 350º temp as well....thanks...[p]Mop![p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Troy,
    The sear & dwell method works well with the olive oil rub. I use it nearly everytime! Makes beautiful marks on the steaks too![p]Dr. C

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]Good to see ya Doc, I just took a quick look in here before calling it a night. Thats good to know about the sear and dwell even though I dont cook my steaks that way, I know most people here do. You're as much a part of this olive oil steak thing as I am, I definitely want to give credit where credit is due, I just answered a few questions one time about how I cooked my steaks. [p]I'm still trying to fight off this darn flu. I was great this morning and then I went to the career day that our local High School puts on. We put up a little display and talk to the kids about our careers etc. Great thing they do and glad to participage. I got back still feeling OK but now I'm really starting to fade, just absolutely NO energy at all and ache all over. But, this too shall pass. I have a few leftover burgers from last night that will serve as dinner for the family and then its off to the couch with the paper. Have a good "day" at work, talk to you soon.[p]Troy
  • Mop
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, I`m going to use my "mesh" grate for the steaks..
    I`m as we speak running the egg way up in temp to clean the grate due to the last cook, when it`s cleaned off I`ll close it down enough to get my 350º and being the egg was so hot I should be able to get some nice marks at the same time ....I hope....[p]Mop[p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Mop,
    That sounds like a winner! If you want that mesh in SS, give me a shout. I've got a source! [p]Good luck on the steaks![p]Dr. C

• Mop
    Options
    Dr. Chicken, what size wire is in your ss mesh do you know?[p]Mop!

• Mop, after getting tips from Sprinter and then Dr Chicken himself who put Spinter onto the olive oil idea for steaks I bought two beautiful New York strips on Monday for egging this Saturday night. I immediately slattered them real good with an olive oil that has roasted garlic in it. I then wrapped them individually and then sealed them into a plain plastic bag in the frig. Waitin 'em out til Saturday!

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    one feral kat,
    It will be smoked Bratwurst tonight for us! If them steaks turn out half as good as the ones we did Monday evening, I'll have another convert! :-)))[p]I jist luv it!!! :-)))[p]
    Dr. C

• one feral kat,[p]Don't you get almost the same effect by marinating in wishbone dressing? Maybe some extra undesired spices and herbs, but about the same oil effect? I am going to try your method with olive oil also.
  • Mop
    Options
    one feral kat,, sounds good, your going to love them.
    Mine were a bit thin but the flavour was sure there....enjoy![p]Mop!