Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausage?????????

Options
Grumpa
Grumpa Posts: 861
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone recommend a good temp for cooking italian sausage?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    dc522a2c.jpg
    <p />Bob,[p]I cook around 300 degrees typically direct on a raised grate. First it will plump, then it will sweat. This is the time to keep an eye on it, possibly closing down your vents. You want the internal temp to come up with the browning of the casing. If the internal comes up too fast it will either spit or split and you don't want to loose juices that way.[p]If it is fresh ground home-made or made fresh from a butcher you trust, 160 degrees internal is okay. If not, take it to 170 degrees internal.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Good info. I am always interested in reading your posts. You have a passion and a "feel" for cooking that not many have. I was just looking through the Eggtoberfest cookbook, and saw your recipes. What I can't believe is that I did not even know you were there! Would have enjoyed shaking your hand. Or maybe I did, but just didn't know you were the famous "thirdeye". LOL.[p]Thanks for all the great info you share here.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Were you at ATL Eggtoberfest? I saw one of your recipes listed in wise ones cookbook. If you were there and I missed meeting you, that would be the second time this year. -RP

• thirdeye
    Options
    1122fb8b.jpg
    <p />Chris,[p]Darn it, I wasn't there. My navigation got all balled up at this intersection in South Dakota. I would have liked to meet you too. I was only the source of those recipes, bobbyb was the one cooking up the paella and fatties. [p]BTW, I made the Nad Stew the day you posted the recipe. Good stuff. Do nads mean the same thing back east as they do in the west? LOL.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Options
    AZRP,[p]Nope, sorry didn't make 'er. See my reply to Chris. What do ya mean second time?? They way I heard it, I was the one who didn't make the Colorado Eggfest and you did. LOL[p]I wonder if any of the mile-high eggheads made it to Atlanta?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Nice to have a representative to cook your recipes!
    Out here in the East, nads just refer to chicken trimmings ;-)[p]Glad you enjoyed it. It's pretty simple, and depends a lot on the browing of the meats in the pan.[p]Well, maybe I'll meet you another day. Glad I didn't "just" miss you.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • thirdeye
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Okay pardner, I'll that to my colloquialism (east) list.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Yeah, that was the second time I was talking about, maybe next year. -RP