Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold weather cooking tips

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It was close to zero out the other night and I had trouble getting my fire over 300' at full bore! Any other experiences of cold weather usage? Thanks, JB

Comments

• char buddy
    Options
    hi Bon Jove,[p]I mean Jon Bove.[p]Around here (Philly) the opposite happens to my grill., cold nights and the thing gets unstable and gets too hot too fast. Look for the usual suspects for a slow fire - damp lump, not knocking off the ashes before the cook.[p]good luck

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    View?u=1386188&a=10352463&p=37534216
    <p />Jon Bove, I had trouble 1 time and decided I didn't have enough lump in to get the fire going as hot as I wanted to get it. This was around 30 degrees. I cooked strips in 5 degree weather with wind chills in the minus teens at 650 with no trouble. Just filled with lump and let go.[p]CWM
  • Dr. Chicken
    Options
    Jon Bove,
    I agree with CB and CWM. You probably got some damp lump or the lump you had in the Egg got damp somehow! Next time put a small amount of fresh on top and use it to get things going.[p]Good luck![p]Dr. Chicken

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Jon Bove, when you want to maximize heat. use good fresh larger charcoal. Then put your preburned dead charcoal on top. Pre used charcoal has a slower start and burn due to the exterior ash on it.
    Once you get a hotter fire under it..it will take off.
    Especially in those super cold wx conditions. I have had 700F temps in -40F wind chill weather.
    C~W[p]

• Dr. Chicken, we were close..didn't read yours till I posted. No conflict of view intended...C~W[p]
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Jon Bove,
    The last time I had that problem the thermometer had frozen. ...beyond repair I discovered last night. JCA

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Options
    coldegg.jpg
    <p />Jon Bove,[p]I've used my egg all winter. This overnight cook was none with outside temp around 8 degrees. I keep my charcoal in a sealed rubbermaid container. I have not experienced any difference in cold weather usage other than having to open the dampers just a touch more.[p]Carl T