Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

30 Day Dry Aged NY Strip - Clean Burn Style

Options
greetings friends,

brackets already busted, so why not sear some really nice steak at nuclear temps?  Sides are buttermilk roasted garlic red skin mash, asparagus, and brandi’s Maple glazed cranberry brussels. 2012 Wellington Victory in the glass...

Cheers! GO DUKE!!
8-Damien

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,143
    Options
    Decided to go through with the clean burn. Haven’t done one in many years. Kinda proud of all the grease, honestly. But the DFMT wouldn’t spin without hitting it with a hammer, the cast iron grate was overdue for a scrape, and the insides were frozen in place by pork drippings. Smelled great though!!

some before during pics... after in a bit...

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Too many stories of nuclear clean burns cracking Eggs,

Why do them in the first place? Web pic bragging rights? Must have cool pics of 3 feet flames belching from my Egg? Does an ivory clean Egg deliver a better product than one that has some smoke on it?

Willing to risk cracking for no real gain but cool pics? 

It's your Egg......rock on. 

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Too many stories of nuclear clean burns cracking Eggs,

Why do them in the first place? Web pic bragging rights? Must have cool pics of 3 feet flames belching from my Egg? Does an ivory clean Egg deliver a better product than one that has some smoke on it?

Willing to risk cracking for no real gain but cool pics? 

It's your Egg......rock on. 

“Clean Burn” is right there in the title.
    You don’t have to click on my thread. 

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Great cook and eggcellent money shot right there.  Congrats on bringing it home.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Impressive.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
     Scrape that stuff off and add it to a rub!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    That's a great looking plated steak with brussel sprouts.  One of my favs too.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    The friggin Egg drives the cook. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2018
    Options
    If you're clean burnin' your CI grate and CI charcoal grate, you're not doin' it right.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Rock on. Great images, the food looked spectacular. Thank you for sharing. Hope the clean burn went well.
    Duke looked good against the Radford Highlanders.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Awesome looking cook and meal Damien.. Pics are outstanding.. Looking forward to seeing you guys at the BB..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Are you gasket-less?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Are you gasket-less?
    Indeed. Tried a few different ones and just decided it works almost as well without, altogether. Never did Ron’s Rutlledge. Maybe someday...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options

Awesome looking cook and meal Damien.. Pics are outstanding.. Looking forward to seeing you guys at the BB..
    We can’t wait my friend! 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I have a former co-worker that does that on a chimney starter, He sits a SS grille across the top after the coals are blazing and drops filets on for about a minute per side to char. Then he pours the coals in the grill and slow bakes the meat to the preferred level of doneness. He raves about the results.

I use a more conventional approach that creates less carbon.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Focker said:
    If you're clean burnin' your CI grate and CI charcoal grate, you're not doin' it right.
    The charcoal grate is a trivet I use  to put on the coals and do a caveman sear. Gets it white hot. With two steaks I used the cast iron grate instead. The dual level minus the top level. 

It had had so many low and slows over it it needed a refreshment. The post wouldn’t adjust any more..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Teefus said:
    I have a former co-worker that does that on a chimney starter, He sits a SS grille across the top after the coals are blazing and drops filets on for about a minute per side to char. Then he pours the coals in the grill and slow bakes the meat to the preferred level of doneness. He raves about the results.

I use a more conventional approach that creates less carbon.
    Yes. The complaint is the carbon, which I like. The girls at the house don’t. As it turned out. :/ 

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks good, mon. 

FWIW - Yeah, people fall into one of two camps on the flavor of carbonized meat.  If I char something too much SWMBO complains.  I try to limit the time and temp to get a sear that doesn't quite get completely charred to black carbon.
    Options
    Looks good, mon. 

FWIW - Yeah, people fall into one of two camps on the flavor of carbonized meat.  If I char something too much SWMBO complains.  I try to limit the time and temp to get a sear that doesn't quite get completely charred to black carbon.
    I’m going to give them another try... I ca stand my meat Pittsburgh rare, so a quicker cook is nigh. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    And, to follow up the end of the clean burn...

the egg egg ended up gray white. Lots of gook in there. Still didn’t get the grease out of the very bottom, had to chisel that out. Another hot burn would finish the job. And the dual level grates are functioning again, so happy to get that functionality back. 

Thanks for teading! LOTS O PICS!! Lol

Large BGE and Medium BGE