Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flamboss 300 or bbq guru digiQ2???

Options
Does anyone have any insight on which is better for a Large Big Green Egg? Looking for a good temp control for long smokes and whatnot. What's better the Flameboss 300 or the BBQ Guru DigiQ 2?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Welcome to the forum! I have a DigiQ, have had it for 8+ years and it has always worked perfectly. If I had it to buy it again, I wouldn't! Or any other controller. It was a waste of money. A few points...

• Learn to control temps and cooks manually before you buy a controller. When the power goes out in the middle of a cook, you'll be able to get it done.
    • You probably won't use it for anything except low and slow cooks. How many of those do you do?
    • Consider turbo cooks (higher temp cooks that will get the job done in half the time). No more overnight cooks. Put a butt on at 10 AM and have pulled pork for dinner. Your egg will reliably hold most any temp all day long, but especially a 300-350° (turbo) temp, without a crutch.
    • You should never leave your grill unattended anyway. In other words, don't set up the controller and go shopping or to work. Bad idea. Just walk outside and check from time to time. Or use a cheap Maverick if you're lazy.
    • Do you really need to watch your cook from your phone. 

Plenty on here will disagree. They will "highly recommend" the FB 300 (one of the darlings of the forum). I am sure it works fine, but so does the DigiQ. So does nothing. Which is what I would buy.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Between the 2... FB 300
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Between the 2... FB 300
    Is there another you recommend?
    My egg just had a few babies so I was going to purchase another controller and figured since I had the Cyber Q why not try the FB 300 but I haven't even began the search and research on what else is out there so maybe you can help direct me
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • Ljs324
    Ljs324 Posts: 5
    Options
    Is there another one you would recommend other than those 2?

• skellis614
    Options
    I just replaced an old cyberq with a fab 300 and couldn’t be happier.  I don’t use it for every cook, but it’s a nice win on the long ones.  Setup literally couldn’t have been simpler.  Great experience 
    LBGE, Burgeoning Accessories
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    FB300

Been egging for nearly 20 yrs, know the BGE inside and out, but a Flameboss makes life easier.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    DigiQ. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • mlc2013
    Options
    does anyone have any discount codes for Either, or suggestions on where you can get either the Digi Q or Flame boss for less?

Long Island NY    
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    Ljs324 said:
    Is there another one you would recommend other than those 2?

You could look into the Smobot.  Similar to the FB/Guru only it controls the damper rather than relying on a fan.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited March 2018
    Options
    BBQGuru  CyberQ 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    does anyone have any discount codes for Either, or suggestions on where you can get either the Digi Q or Flame boss for less?

I haven't priced anything lately, but seem to recall the smobot costing less than some other options out there. Don't have any experience with the ones you're looking at, but I'm pleased with the smobot and others on here seem to like it, too. I will also agree with others who say there is important to be able to control your BGE without one, if needed.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    edited March 2018
    Options
    FB300 or Smobot.  Both work great and customer service is phenomenal.

PM @stlcharcoal for a good price.

I have used FB100, FB200, Smobot, and BBQGuru.

***Disclaimer: I was part of the Beta program for Smobot, Flameboss has helped me out in the past (been using their controllers since 2014), and @stlcharcoal sent me a free Rockwood apron when I ordered a pallet of Rockwood.***
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Controllers have their place in the universe. My impression is that it takes a couple of months (maybe even a year or 3) before someone wants a temp controller, then another few years to figure out (possibly) that they don't need it.

My own experience has been that it took a nearly disastrous brisket cook for me to cave and get an FB200. I blame it (almost) entirely on having a newborn in the house. I chose the FB after reading numerous threads, here and elsewhere, about the difficulty in setting up the CyberQ and the poor customer service from Stoker. 

In some ways, the FB seems less robust - I had a probe fail, and the main unit had a connection come loose or something. Less than 5 mins on the phone with FB CS took care of both problems. I think the unit was even out of warranty when I called them about the wonky connector. I have high praise for FB and their goal of doing whatever it takes to take care of their customer.

Having said all that, i haven't used the FB200 in a few months. Partially because i lack the patience for a lo n slo cook now, and partly because I was waiting for a high pit probe to be back in stock. I have no complaints whatsoever about the FB though, and do not regret buying it. It served its purpose well, with few hitches, when I was using it regularly. The FB300 has more ports now, so that's something to consider too.

Lastly, hit up @stllcharcoal if you settle on the FB. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    edited March 2018
    Options
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:

Lastly, hit up @stlsmoker if you settle on the FB. 
    Who is @stlsmoker ?
    My bad. Meant @stlcharcoal

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Between the 2... FB 300
    Is there another you recommend?
    My egg just had a few babies so I was going to purchase another controller and figured since I had the Cyber Q why not try the FB 300 but I haven't even began the search and research on what else is out there so maybe you can help direct me
    I have DigiQ and FB 300. Hands down FB 300.
    "If" I already had a CyberQ and was happy with it, buying another Guru might be a good idea because all of the probes, fans and adapters would be interchangeable.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    caliking said:
    Having said all that, i haven't used the FB200 in a few months.  
    I honestly don't remember when I last used my DigiQ. Had to be nearly a year ago. Save your money.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mlc2013
    Options
    Photo Egg I agree with that statement but if I were to 2 separate cooks on 2 different eggs i would need 2 separate units anyway. So the advantage really is on not having to buy extra probes for each model. I think im going to go with a different model who knows maybe ill like one better then the other and can do a first hand review. Do I see the beginning of my own Youtube channel here JK that will never happen.
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    Carolina Q I know you do slow and low from your posts; your comfortable doing an overnighter with out a backup (alarm)? I guess the next logical question is, does flare up change the temp dramatically from drippings?
    Long Island NY    
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    Photo Egg I agree with that statement but if I were to 2 separate cooks on 2 different eggs i would need 2 separate units anyway. So the advantage really is on not having to buy extra probes for each model. I think im going to go with a different model who knows maybe ill like one better then the other and can do a first hand review. Do I see the beginning of my own Youtube channel here JK that will never happen.
    But you would not always be cooking 2 separate low and slow long cooks. Having interchangeable parts would be a big plus. But I still stand by my FB 300 as 1st choice.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mlc2013
    Options
    Photo Egg your probably right
    Long Island NY    
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    Carolina Q I know you do slow and low from your posts; your comfortable doing an overnighter with out a backup (alarm)? I guess the next logical question is, does flare up change the temp dramatically from drippings?
    My hearing sucks so I don't hear any alarm anybody makes. Recently bought an Instant Pot. Asked my son to tell me if it was beeping because I knew it was supposed to and wanted to return it if it wasn't. He said, "you can't hear THAT?!" And even when I could hear, I sleep like the dead. Alarms have to be VERY loud to wake me up.

I don't do lo n slo cooks any more. I shoot for 320° and the cook is started between 9-10AM and finished by dinner time. No more overnighters. No difference in the taste or texture either.

All drippings are caught in a drip pan. No flare ups.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mlc2013
    Options
    Carolina Q
    Thanks for the info!! I will have to try this turbo method and see what I think I have not done any yet.
    Long Island NY    
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You can get a pork butt done in time for supper without having to go turbo or go overnight.  A nice moderate temp cook (275º or so) will get a butt done if you start in the morning.  I normally get up and light the egg. Have breakfast while the BGE temp stabilizes. Put the butt on after breakfast.  If needed, up the temp in the afternoon to make sure its done by dinner time.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• mlc2013
    Options
    Ljs324 sorry to jump in on your thread but hopefully the answers are helpful for you as well.

Long Island NY    
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    mlc2013 said:
    Carolina Q
    Thanks for the info!! I will have to try this turbo method and see what I think I have not done any yet.
    But if you dont want to get up early and start cooking or possibly want BBQ for lunch, good old low and slow over night cook is a winner.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    mlc2013 said:
    Carolina Q
    But if you dont want to get up early and start cooking or possibly want BBQ for lunch, good old low and slow over night cook is a winner.lol
    I don't start my cooks til 9-10AM. That's not early. =) 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    mlc2013 said:
    Carolina Q
    Yes, it is.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    mlc2013 said:
    Carolina Q
    And still ready for lunch. Ha Ha
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas