Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kool Eggin Weekend

Options
Cajun
Cajun Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Friday, I picked up some good looking inch thick T bone steaks from Costco and egged um Saturday at 650 3/3/5 and was very happy with the results. Sunday was a work in the yard day to clean up from the freezes we had during Christmas time. Central Florida does not do good with freezes. Anyway, I had printed out Chicken Cordon Bleu al la Egg and had to try that out. I had gotten some skinless/boneless breasts and skinless/boneless thighs from Costco and rolled ham and swiss cheese and kept it together with toothpicks. Kept a steady 250 degrees for 2 1/2 hours and they were great.[p]Next will come a venison roast. I am wondering if anyone has a favorite receipe for marinate and slow cooking methodology.[p]Thanks to all for their help. This newbie is really gettin' the Egg to work wonders.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Cajun, your getting it nailed...
    Thats what we oldies are here for. To give the new owner a kick start in the operation of the BGE.. then the whole new world of great cooking experiences opens up and you can do whatever you can imagine..After all, if NB can cook squid, we all have a prayer of a chance.
    Many of us are purists with Barbeque cooks. JJ and I fall into that catagory.
    Others are more adept at baking, pizza and oriental art forms of cooks.
    And after all, the BGE is a oriental original design.
    Keep up the good work...!
    C~W[p]

• Cajun
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Thanks for the reply. I really can't believe the control I am achieving with my BGE. OUTSTANDING[p]I am still looking for a good receipe for my venison steak/roast though. Cooking methodology too.[p]If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. It's going on the egg tonight[p]Cajun
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Cajun,
    Here is a link to some recipes. I have not done venison, but several people have. This should give you some ideas on prep/saesoning. Hopefully some of the folks who have done vension will chime in.[p]Have fun
    NB

[ul][li]Oh Deer.[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Cajun,
    Here is a link to everything you ever wanted to know about venison.[p]Larry

[ul][li]Venison[/ul]
  • Cajun
    Options
    YB,[p]Great!! Thanks for the link. Looks like I have quite a few options with this site.[p]Cajun
  • Cajun
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks... Oh Deer is great. Looks like I have many options to consider[p]More later[p]Cajun
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Cajun,
    I borrowed this one and modified it a bit...

Elk Roast [p]

[p]3 to 4 lb. boneless elk rump
    roast or substitute/beef/venison
    1/2 cup catsup
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1 tablespoon prepared mustard
    1 tablespoon liquid smoke
    flavoring (optional)
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 1 tablespoon soy sauce
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons celery salt
    2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg [p]
    Heat oven (BGE) to 350 degrees
    Place roast in bottom of 3 qt. roasting pan with cover.[p](In the BGE, I would use a pan resting on firebricks and cover with foil. All else should work as described)

Set aside. In medium mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
    Pour mixture over roast. Cover tightly.
    Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, until meat is tender Remove cover.
    Bake for 30 minutes longer. Let roast stand for 10 minutes.
    Carve roast across grain into thin slices. Let me know if you use it.[p]Char-Woody[p][p]

• Cajun
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Thanks, I will try this definately on my next venison excursion. I will let you know the result.[p]Cajun