Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

thawing and brining at the same time...doable?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just thinking out loud here which doesn't mean my brain and fingers are always working at the same speed..OK? but anyway other than the suggestion on some turkey wraps that water used for thawing should be changed hourly has anybody combined the two processes of thawing in the brine solution? I should ask if anyone has had any luck (pronunce that "and lived to tell about it")

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    one feral kat, I am presently brining the last 24 hours a large broiler. It was partially frozen. As long as you keep the water temps at around 35 to 40F, I can see no problem with it. Mine is in a large glass jar sitting in the garage at around 25F degrees..and it hasn't froze up yet.
    About to take it out and prep for a demo cook at 1:00 pm tomorrow.
    Good luck..
    C~W
    I will post this if AT&T@home.com will allow it..:-)[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    one feral kat,[p]Thawing in the brine solution will produce a much less than even brining of the bird as the brine would only react with meat at a temp above 32°F.[p]If you need to push the time, then I recommend thawing as much as possible using room temp water and then brining in a warmer (40°F) liquid. Add ice to reduce the brine temp as the bird completely thaws. This is also a compromise of the process.[p]Spin