Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Jerk(y) Weekend . . . with Lobster

Options
Fritz
Fritz Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, my weekend of egging is done, except for the leftovers. :-)[p]It began with jerked jerky. I basically used the River City method ona 4# brisket but I added about 2 tablespoons of some homemade jerk sauce. I should have added more. The jerky was great but not as hot as I anticipated, in fact, kinda mild. The cook was done at about 200* for 11 hours.[p]Saturday night was the HONEY OF A LOBSTER TAIL with MAQUE CHOUX PEPPERS from SMOKE AND SPICE. The boy was gone so the Mrs. and I had a wonderful candlelight meal featuring these dishes.[p]Sunday featured POWDERPUFF RIBS from Raichlen's rub and marinade book. I also did a few sweet Italian sausages.[p]Fritz

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Fritz,[p]I'm with you on the river city jerkey and it being kind of mild. I've added some stuff to the recipe (see post below) to kick it up a bit. Great starting point though and highly recommended if you're getting started with jerkey and want a tried and true recipe.[p]Troy
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    View?u=474327&a=10378379&p=37249582&Sequence=0&res=high
    <p />Fritz,[p]I cooked a 5 lbs. brisket this weekend as well. Cooked @ 180 for just under 5 hrs. Kicked it up to 220 for the last 30 minutes or so. Seems to render out the fat better. 11 hours sounds like a really long time to cook jerky. I hang mine with toothpicks, maybe that's the difference. Try Randy's teriyaki for a change. Really good.[p]Mick

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    MickeyT.,[p]Do you trim your brisket before cooking it? Been toying with that myself but seems that the longer cooks render the fat pretty well for me, still a bit on the fatty side though. Depending on how much I'm cooking, I've had a pile of jerkey take up to 12 hours. By hanging it it undoubtedly gets done more quickly. The pile method add quite a bit of time I think.[p]Troy
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    sprinter,[p]I used to trim the fat cap prior to cooking. Kind of a pain. Now I trim each pc before I marinade. Than insures hardly any fat. Sometimes the fat cap runs back up into the brisket and is hard to trim. The nice thing about hanging it is that you can do what ever you want and don't have to worry about it for the first 4 hours.[p]Fun stuff.[p]Mick