Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Peppers

Options
Pug
Pug Posts: 57
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend gave me some hot peppers several months ago (mostly chili peppers) and I had frozen them due to the quanity. Is there anything I can do with them? I like hot stuff but I do not make a habit of drinking hot sauce straight out of the bottle. Thanks[p]Steve

Comments

• Orio Kid
    Options
    Pug,
    If you have a large quantity, dice them as fine as you can.
    Takethe diced peppers and put them in a medium sauce pan with some vinegar (your choice) and simmer them until they reduce down. Keep adding vinegar until it is close to a puree'. Use as a helper to help kick up a sauce.
    Remember to use rubber gloves to handle the peppers during preparation.
    Jake

• Pug,
    Cut the stems off and smoke em.
    Use a fruit wood for a killer flavor..hickory or Mesquite work great too.
    After about 8 hrs/or they are crispy - remove from smoker and grind. I have used my blender but a coffee grinder works great.
    Once ground, put in pepper shakers and use/give as gifts.[p]I mix some cumin and garlic with mine...

[ul][li]Ma's Smokin Chips[/ul]
  • Sippi
    Sippi Posts: 83
    Options
    SmokinSteve,
    What temperature do you recommend?

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    Sippi,[p]I have done this with both habaneros and jalapenos. I smoke 'em at close to 200 degrees until cirspiy, then blend as mentioned. I am almost out of chipotle powder, so I can't wait until the growing season starts.[p]:-)[p]Fritz
  • Big Murth
    Options
    Pug,
    A lot depends on what kind of chile peppers you've got. If you've got the big light green ones, they're probably New Mexico type chiles, also known as Anaheim. Fairly mild to pretty hot in the heat department, but very flavorful. So much so, that out here, I purchase 4 bushels every fall, have them roasted, and freeze them whole in small freezer bags. If you roast them, you can then freeze them, and when you need some, run them under the tap to remove the charred skin and pull out the seeds and get the top w/stem off and out. They are absolutely delicious on top of a burger, and we always lay a few strips on top of a steak or even a pork chop occasionally, after the last flip.
    If you've got the little dark green guys, or the small red ones, watch out....as they are more as an additive to a sauce to be used for a a little extra flavor or kick on what you're cooking. It seems that the smaller the pepper, the hotter they are.

• Sippi,
    I usually smoke around 100-150....not too picky. I like to dry them out as they smoke. I am waiting for the growing season too...almost out..
    luckily I live a place where there are a lot of hispanics and Jalops are usually between 10 and 30 cents a pound..[p]