Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Follow the Locals (to eat)

Options
SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
edited October 2017 in EggHead Forum
@Botch had a great idea from the Best Foodie Cities Salvage Thread - to list the best places to eat in your location. Locals always know the best places, and some are little hole-in-the-wall joints. @westernbbq made a nice list in that thread.

The idea here is to name the places (and possibly the items) that are the best in your area. I travel far less than many of you, but this would be a great reference when I travel somewhere and I am looking for a great meal. @Botch - I hope you don't mind I started this.
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I'll start. Coleman, Tx. is a small community in West Texas but we do have a place that has been featured in Texas Monthly and other publications. The Rancho Pizzeria makes wood fired pizzas and specialty dishes on the weekends. They also serve wines from their vinyard - Rancho Loma Vinyards.
    They have the 2nd best pizza in town :)

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Okay I'll put this on the correct thread.
    http://www.phoeniciagourmet.com/menu.html
    If you eat there always listen to the daily specials before ordering.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Great thread launch @SciAggie.  I would add the following for Coleman; your back-yard.  ;)
    In Louisville, Hammerheads; linked here:  http://louisvillehammerheads.com  
    and Game; linked here:  http://wildgameburgers.com 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Spring Valley Restaurant in Greensboro is the best breakfast I've ever had. Get the cat head biscuits with sausage gravy. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    hole in the wall place, bay havens, cornish maine. this is dinner for two with a side of rings. draws locals from all over the place

Image result for bay haven in cornish maine

or maybe you want to keep it simple and split a lazy man lobster platter

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cmclean
    cmclean Posts: 45
    Options
    I haven't been in Memphis long enough to give an opinion, but I spent the best years of my life in Oxford and am still there pretty much anytime I am not working.  If you take a weekend trip I would schedule your meals like this

Oxford MS:
    - Taylor Grocery Friday night for dinner (brown bag policy) bring a cooler and kick back and enjoy Taylor MS while you wait to be seated.  You can write on the wall and you get served with a paper plate.  If you don't get catfish you are wrong.
    Image result for taylor grocery taylor ms
    - B's BBQ Saturday for lunch.  Look for the gas station on college hill road you cant miss it.  Best Brisket in town and the dry rub ribs have been my go to for 5+ years
    Photo of Bs Hickory Smoke Bbq - Oxford MS United States Dry rub ribs  chicken Home style dinner
    - Ajax Diner.  Eat here Saturday night for some good soul food.  Anything here is good, but I recommend country fried steak or the big easy sandwich.  Its country fried steak, mashed potatoes, butter beans, and bacon.
    Image result for ajax dinner
    The Big Easy Ajax Diner Oxford MS 
    - BBB for breakfast
    Image result for big bad breakfast
    - Handy Andy's (I think this place is over rated, but the people who stand in line for a burger every Sunday after church will tell you otherwise)
    Image result for handy andys oxford ms
    Image result for handy andys oxford ms

When you make visit number two send me a private message and Ill give you the list of next 10 places to try.
    Large & 36" Blackstone
    Memphis, TN

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Thanks, @SciAggie!  

Ogden, Utard:  The Hearth, on Historic 25th Street.  Everything I've had is good, don't miss the Black Truffle Fries.  And where else in utard can you get Himalayan Yak Tartare?!?  Really, just about any place on 25th is excellent, Tona's for sushi (order the Avocado Ball, which is not on the menu) and Zucca's for Italian/Mediterranean, Roosters for elevated bar food and in-house-brewed beers.  Jeremaya's for breakfasts.  Just to the south, in Layton, Kim Long for the best pho I've had; their wood-grilled Shrimp Fried Rice is also outstanding.  

Park City, Utard:  Ritzy ski town, uniformly fantastic restaurants and really not that expensive.  But this one is worth flying into town for: Stein Erickson Lodge puts on a buffet during the Beaujolais Wine celebration, end of November, that is the best I've had.  Fast for at least a day prior.  My then-GF was an ER Nurse/Instructor, so we sat with some world-class surgeons talking about their yachts, what a night!  

Albuturkey, NM:  I moved away back in 1992, but a recent TDY assured me that my two favorite places were still top-notch:  Sadie's for traditional New Mexican cuisine, and The Owl Cafe for green chile cheeseburgers.  There was also a fantastic greasy-spoon near UNM for breakfast, was on triple-D, but its name escapes me right now.  EDIT:  I think it was called "Frontier"?   

Bookmarked!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    hole in the wall place, bay havens, cornish maine. this is dinner for two with a side of rings. draws locals from all over the place

or maybe you want to keep it simple and split a lazy man lobster platter

Has there ever been anything more beautiful?  I may drive to Maine just for this!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    San Diego: osso bucco at Cafe Luna

San Jose: chili verde super burrito at Super Taqueria

Austin, Tx: nevermind, just a bunch of dried out beef

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Charlotte NC best hole in the wall

Brooks Brothers for a burger!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Unfortunately Lexington KY is the clown prince of chain restaurants. Very little to offer. A couple of excellent upper end places in Midway, a very charming destination town. Holly Hill Inn and Heirloom. Just 70 miles to the west is a great food town, Louisville.  Chock full of distinct places. From the diviest dives to great dining spots. Anyone headed that way send me a pm. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Little Rock:  the pantry. 

Or come to my house. 

Little Rock, AR

• CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Tampa, so many options and the nearby suburbs all have a good place to offer. 

Some off the top of my head near the heart of Tampa. 

Bern’s Steakhouse, the Columbia, Datz, Ulele, Jackson’s Bistro, Bernini’s (Italian), Miguel’s/Green Lemon (Mexican), Mr. Dunderbaks Biergarten. 

Ive since moved to an outside suburb of Tampa, but these places are worth the 30 minute/ish drive for me.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Pruett's BBQ in Gadsden, AL for fired chicken and many, many good sides including sweet potato,fluff.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Assuming you're lost, if ever in Dawsonville, GA. The Blue Bicycle is a great French bistro.  After that, text @DoubleEgger.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Sheetz
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Assuming you're lost, if ever in Dawsonville, GA. The Blue Bicycle is a great French bistro.  After that, text @DoubleEgger.
    I hear the Brechole Bed and Breakfast is pretty good. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Reservations required.  Marissamichael B & B has better reviews.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    No reservations required at Sheetz
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    I hear the owner is an ass 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

Bern’s Steakhouse, the Columbia, Datz, Ulele, Jackson’s Bistro, Bernini’s (Italian), Miguel’s/Green Lemon (Mexican), Mr. Dunderbaks Biergarten. 

Ive since moved to an outside suburb of Tampa, but these places are worth the 30 minute/ish drive for me.

When I lived in Tampa, we went to the original and only (at the time) Outback Steakhouse and loved it.  When we didn't want anything so fancy we drove to Clearwater to the original and only (at the time) Hooters.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    As far as places that have been around forever all we've got is 2 burger places and they're not as good as the use to be. All in all nothing that I would be proud to take my out town buddies to besides tacos and Mexican food. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    Unfortunately our favorite restaurant in Santa Barbara, CA, (Downey's) closed in August after 30 years. But there are a number of good places - our current favorites are Bouchon and The Stonehouse (at San Ysidro Ranch).

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Foghorn said:

When I lived in Tampa, we went to the original and only (at the time) Outback Steakhouse and loved it.  When we didn't want anything so fancy we drove to Clearwater to the original and only (at the time) Hooters.
    Were I in Tampa I'd hit a fresh seafood restaurant, first and foremost, and you guys didn't give me one!  :tired_face:

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    Knoxville is also the vast landscape of chains.  Prior to moving here we lived in Tampa and then Jacksonville.  In Tampa we enjoyed CDB's Pizza.  It was started by 3 USF grads.  I think there are more locations now but we always ate at the one located near USF campus.  In Jacksonville, try Clark's Fish Camp.  It's just what the name implies.  Located in south Jax on Julington Creek, the kids enjoyed tossing their hushpuppies to the gators.    

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Webass said:
    Knoxville is also the vast landscape of chains.  Prior to moving here we lived in Tampa and then Jacksonville.  In Tampa we enjoyed CDB's Pizza.  It was started by 3 USF grads.  I think there are more locations now but we always ate at the one located near USF campus.  In Jacksonville, try Clark's Fish Camp.  It's just what the name implies.  Located in south Jax on Julington Creek, the kids enjoyed tossing their hushpuppies to the gators.    
    Copper Cellar used to be a great eating place in K'Ville...  Last time I ate there was maybe 4 or 5 years ago but still mighty fine.  You might also try Chesapeake's downtown.
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Little Rock:  the pantry. 

Or come to my house. 
    Last time in LR, we ate at the Pantry on Rodney Parahm.  VERY pleased with the knowledge of beer the wait staff presented and extremely happy when my Old Rasputin came to the table with a Nitrogen pour!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Aubrey's is alright in eastern TN 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Botch said:
    Foghorn said:

Were I in Tampa I'd hit a fresh seafood restaurant, first and foremost, and you guys didn't give me one!  :tired_face:
    @Botch, the truth is that there are a number of restaurants on the bay that were good but none of them stood out to me.  My favorite seafood in the area was a grouper sandwich at the Don Cesar in St. Pete. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX