Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More marinated tri tips

Options
this is a family staple around my house. My family can’t get enough of them. These were nice and tender today. 

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Looks wonderful!  What did you marinate them in?
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Here’s my recipe:

1/2 cup black pepper
    1/2 cup granulated garlic powder
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup seasoning salt
    1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
    1 cup lemon juice (I like fresh squeezed)
    1 cup oil (peanut or other)
    1 cup water

Add all ingredients to gallon bag, shake to combine well. Add two tri tip roasts, marinate for 8-12 hours (you can go less if worries about too much salt).  Grill to medium. 

I know the amounts sound super crazy, but this is legit awesome. It’s not overpowering. I let the bag sit on the counter the last four hours to come up to room temp before grilling. I make it for work parties, family parties, and pretty much everything. 
  • UNCHeels08
    Options
    That looks great. How did you cook them?
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Usually I just cook them raised direct at about 450-550. Flipping enough to not get too much char. This time I seared them next to the lump on a small cast iron grid sitting on the woo, temp was irrelevant I had the lid open. Then I put a raised indirect setup I have in and they were close to the dome roasting at about 600 until I hit medium. 
  • Stuss
    Stuss Posts: 75
    Options

Would you think this California Trip Tip is any different….We saw some trip tips being cooked @ eggfest and this is the only I can find close to us.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Yes, I circled the one that looks like a tri tip. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Stuss said:

Would you think this California Trip Tip is any different….We saw some trip tips being cooked @ eggfest and this is the only I can find close to us.
    Stuss....where are you located? Assuming int he Carolina's?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Stuss
    Stuss Posts: 75
    Options
    NW Indiana…..NC is home tho
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    ... I know the amounts sound super crazy, but this is legit awesome...
    Holy MOLY!  Yeah, the amounts sound crazy!  Never heard of a marinade like this in my life, but I might have to try it just to see.  And I gotta say, your picture is gorgeous!

Thanks for the recipe -- definitely saving it!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited October 2017
    Options
    That's not Calfornia Tri Tip as we know it,looks awful lean, but the finished product looks awesome!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    $9.00 a lb. - Ouch!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Theophan said:
    ... I know the amounts sound super crazy, but this is legit awesome...
    Holy MOLY!  Yeah, the amounts sound crazy!  Never heard of a marinade like this in my life, but I might have to try it just to see.  And I gotta say, your picture is gorgeous!

Thanks for the recipe -- definitely saving it!
    agreed, it sounds nuts, but it works.  If they are smaller tri tips, I would reduce the amount of time in the marinade.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    That's not Calfornia Tri Tip as we know it,looks awful lean, but the finished product looks awesome!!
    yeah, @stuss 's pic showed a leaner one in the butcher case.  Mine were not that lean, but I would prefer the processing people lay off the fat trimming.  I like to get the bulk case at costco as they dont trim them.  But when I buy their two packs, they are trimmed a little heavy.
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    I agree with lkapigian. If it’s tied, it ain’t Tri Tip. Looks great, though. 

Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I’ve never seen them tied. That is strange.