Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roswell Rig

Options
I bought a roswell rig to raise my pizzas high into the dome, and the idea of cooking 2 pizzas at a time is what made me buy it. I have gotten the hang of making the pizzas and have thought about purchasing a 2nd stone to start trying to make 2 pizzas at a time, my family is full blooded Americans and we always eat the pizzas faster than I can make them. I am hesitant to buy the 2nd one because I cant clearly see in my head how it will work and if I will get the same results on both pizzas at the same time. So far I have used primarily Publix dough (still trying to find a local pizzeria to sell me dough that will cook in the 600 range for 5-8 minutes), cooking at 400-450 and a few pizzas in the 600 range and have success at both, not sure if that information helps any.

Any pictures of people using this and making 2 pizzas at a time and thoughts/ideas from all are always welcomed and appreciated!!
LBGE- North of Atlanta, Georgia.

Hail Southern

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I haven't used one and haven't seen many posts about them. I found this one:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1194984/double-pizza-rack-for-large-bge

@Jupiter Jim mentioned he has one and likes it for double pies so maybe he will be along to offer some tips. 

I would think the top pie would cook faster and you may want to pull the top pie off and move bottom to top to finish it off. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    No experience but I would think you could remove the top one and give the lower one a couple of more minutes. They won't be clones but close enough. 
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I don't have any pics, but I use my CGS adjustable rig and two pizza stones to do two large pizzas (or sometimes 4 small pizzas) at a time.  It does require some rotation to get even cooks, as they cook faster on top, but in my opinion works great and easily doubles your capacity.  So just to clarify my setup, I'll have my spider low with the ceramic stone for indirect cooking, then the AR with a stone on top and another stone set about as high up as I can get it underneath with clearance for pizza toppings.  Next time we do pizzas I'll try to take pics if that helps.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • SouthernEagle
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback the link was helpful, and gave some confidence that the rig can be used for 2 at a time successfully! @jdkeithbge Pictures would be appreciated! Do you lose much heat or increase your cook time having to open the lid and rotate the pizzas? I am assuming the lower pizza would have to be made smaller to fit in through the rig but am worried about trying to rotate the pizzas while they are cooking

Hail Southern
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I use a frozen very thin crust from Restaurant Depot, I start the first pizza on the bottom stone 425 to 450 temp, make the  next pizza, pull the bottom pie and put it on the top stone. make the next pie, pull the top slice and serve, bottom pie to the top new pie on the bottom and repeat. KayNOcook and I have done BBQ pulled pork pizzas all day long like this at several eggfest. When doing a lot of pizzas I always fill the egg full of lump to the top of the fire ring. I love my Roswell rig.......

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• SouthernEagle
    SouthernEagle Posts: 47
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I use a frozen very thin crust from Restaurant Depot, I start the first pizza on the bottom stone 425 to 450 temp, make the  next pizza, pull the bottom pie and put it on the top stone. make the next pie, pull the top slice and serve, bottom pie to the top new pie on the bottom and repeat. KayNOcook and I have done BBQ pulled pork pizzas all day long like this at several eggfest. When doing a lot of pizzas I always fill the egg full of lump to the top of the fire ring. I love my Roswell rig.......
    Hadn't thought about that to help make sure pizza is coming out as often as possible and getting the toppings melted browned perfectly! Thanks for the tips, I love it as well, haven't had a bad pizza yet!

One final question @Jupiter Jim how easy is it for you to get the pizzas on initially to the lower stone when cooking 2 pizzas, and do you have to reduce the size of the pizzas you make some to make it work?

Hail Southern
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I use a metal peel and a piece of parchment paper just to get it off the peel, I pull the paper as I'm pulling the peel out, 12" is the largest pie you can get in and out of the bottom level. I find it very easy, sometimes I use tongs to keep the pie from sticking to the peel by pushing on the pie and pulling on the peel. Lower level is only a problem getting pie off the peel when putting pie on it as sometimes it wants to stick to peel.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• jdkeithbge
    Options
    @SouthernEagle here’s a pic of my pizza setup. Pizzas tonight! Thanks for the inspiration!
  • SouthernEagle
    Options
    @jdkeithbge love the set up, that makes it look super easy to have 2 pizzas cooking at a time!! Pictures of the pies???

Hail Southern
  • jdkeithbge
    Options
    Sorry meant to post last night! Store bought crust but still good.